Shaving Legs

How old was your daughter when she first started shaving her legs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Mine is only 3, but I was 12.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• my girls are now 22, 17, & 15. My oldest only ever did for prom and things..... very blond nothing too visible. Middle daughter around 13 or so and my youngest has always been rather shallow and shaves several times a DAY..... since she was about 12
    Anonymous

• I started at 13 and we will evaluate the situation when my 2 yo gets there.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:11 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My DD is only 5 so we havent gotten to that point yet, Probably around age 12 is when we will start . I started at 12, I think it depends on each child, my sister was 14 when she started it wasnt a big deal to her until she hit high school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 8:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Because middle school is so CRUEL.....my daughter started before entering 6th grade.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:35 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My dd asked to shave her legs when she was in 5th grade, around Christmas time. I talked to her about it, why she wanted to do it, etc. I wanted to make sure she wanted to do it because it was what she wanted, not because she felt pressured to do it or anything like that.

After we talked and I was re-assured about her reasons, I explained about how once you start, it's kinda hard to stop (it grows back prickly, etc). We decided that starting during the winter, when she was wearing pants anyway, didn't make a lot of sense. We agreed that she could start when it got to be "shorts weather". Where we lived at the time, that was basically like a month before school let out / the summer before she started middle school.

(Oh, she only shaved up to just past her knees, and we talked about how "the more you shave, the more you have to shave" - so she only shaved like 1-2 times a week.

She's now 16.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• my daughter is 12 and she just shaved this past week and she has been asking for two yrs now she felt uncomfortable about her legs I told her what it will be like if she wanted to do this and what she needs to understand once you start you cant stop she understood. She was happy after words so time will tell. My oldest shaved at 11 she had dark hair so it looked like it was time for her and it work out she felt better about her self. You know it is going to happen sooner or later and it they understand the consequences then it is her choice just need to let go, she' s growing up just another step that make us parents have to face the fact the she's growing up.

I

Anonymous

• We gave her an electric razor for the Christmas right before she turned 12 in February. She has darker (not really dark) hair on her legs and since she has to wear a skirt to school EVERY DAY we thought it best for her self-esteem to allow her to do it (maybe a little early for some, but not for us!).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my DD is only 3, but i started when i was about 10 or 11. My mom noticed one day when i was wearing shorts, asked me why i shaved them. I told her it was because my leg hairs were so dark and thick and they made me self conscious. After that, she bought me my own razors.
    SandraJo

Answer by SandraJo at 6:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I was about in the 6th grade! my daughter is 4 but has no hair yet lol
    psychobilly_mom

Answer by psychobilly_mom at 3:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2010