• In the Spotlight:

Can I swim in the lake when I'm dialated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor told me it was fine. I specifically asked. She said water will not enter the vagina unless its forced up there by jumping into the body of water, putting something into the vagina while in water etc. I swam until the day before i was induced :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Why even risk it, whether its safe or not?
    Anonymous

• should be fine. i typically dont swim in lakes even when not pregnant, but thats just me :) as long as your water hasnt broken, i dont see a reason to worry.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 8:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I don't know that I would...ask your doctor before doing that. You may get an infection or something. I never thoguht about it...my last two kids were born in Febuary and March and it was crazy snowy cold here,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:31 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• no, they don't even like you to take baths if you have dilated -the water might get up into the uterus (not into the sac, but beside) and cause an infection -yes it is very unlikely, but it is a possibility -not worth the risk
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't. Think about the bacteria that's in the water.
    Anonymous

• YES! As long as you are not in active labor then you will not be fully dilated and will still have at least part of the mucus plug since it regenerates if you don't go into labor with in 12 hours of losing it. The mucus plug protects your from bacteria and infection.

I swam in the lake 3 or 4 times after I dilated and was completely fine.

And to the person who said "no bathes after you dilate'....SERIOUSLY??? My goodness somebody better warn the water birthing mamas!

A lack of pregnancy education on this site is truly ASTOUNDING!!

Enjoy yourself while you can OP.
    Anonymous