How can I get my 9 month old to drink her bottle?

My 9 month old recently started refusing her bottle. I may get 6oz a day from the bottle in her, i do however put formula in her cereal. She has had an ear infection but the refusal started after being on antibiotics for a week. She is also teething. I have tried everything - a sippie cup, a new bottle and nipple, a straw, a syringe and nothing seems to work! She hasnt mastered the sippie cup just yet but loves the taste of juice. I have to physically straw it into her mouth for her to drink it. I tried that with the formula and no luck! It's almost as if she doesnt even like the taste of it anymore. She will only take the first bottle of the day. Shes been on two different antiobiotic, motrin, and oragel and nothing seems to work she still refuses. She eats three solid meals a day and takes them just fine no fuse at all she will also take her pacifier.

I am a first time mom and very concerned. Any advice would be great!!

lindsaythreet

Asked by lindsaythreet at 9:32 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I WOULD CALL YOUR DOCTOR, AND SEE WHAT HE SAYS. SHE JUST MIGHT NOT STILL BE FEELING WELL YET. HOWEVER, SHE DOES NEED HER FLUIDS. SO YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CUT BACK ON SOLIDS.
    Anonymous

• Maybe after tasting the flavored medicine she realized how bad the formula tastes. (it does) Are you offering her the bottle before the solids? Around that age my 2nd DD started preferring the solids over bottle. I had to make sure she got NO solids until she had her bottle.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• her ear infection is probably fungal (yeast) go to an ENT specialist and get the correct medication
    milk makes all URI, sinus and Ear problems worse and it hurts the ears clear fluid will thin out her secretions and decrease her pain
    nutritionally its not the best situation but for a few days until you get the right treatment for her ears you'll just have to deal with it
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:55 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• @ SoniaLShe use to take 4 bottle a day in between meals up until a week ago when she started refusing them. Shes been on solid for 4 months now and never had a problem. But I have been offering the bottle strictly now right before meals and she still refuses. She will go 5 hours sometimes without eating anything. Thank you for your response.

@ MERLINWe are in the process of getting and ENT referral so we can go and talk with him. So her pediatrician wouldn't be able to detect whether it was yeast or no? I know its been stressful but Ive been doing the best I can to keep her hydrated with juice and water. Shes still having wet diapers and tears so I know shes hydrated. Thanks for your response.

lindsaythreet

Answer by lindsaythreet at 10:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2010