when do i start the potty training?

my son is 14 months old, he just started walking 3 weeks ago, his favorite place in the house is the bathroom or going upstairs, he points his finger at everything and he goes off to himself when he wets his diaper or poops, my in laws say its too soon to potty train him and i should wait till he starts talking real good to tell me he has to go potty before even introducing him to a potty but my family has always had all the children potty trained by the age of 2, so should i wait to start the potty training or go ahead and buy him a potty and start now?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for a boy I'd start when he is 28 months old and give both or you a 6 month goal for success

if you start now youlll both be frustrated soon and when he's 4 you'll still be in training
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:50 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I would start introducing him to the potty and slowly he will catch on and you can gradually get him to potty train fully. I had my son fully potty trained at 18 months but he regressed at 21 months.. so be prepared for that too. Good luck!
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• he goes 2 the bathroom with his dad and he imitates what he see his dad doing in there ( its so funny) i just wanted to be sure that im not rushing him and i want it to be a smooth relaxing calm experience for him cause my neighbor son is scare to go in a bathroom and he is 3 she said it came from rushing him to go potty, just dont want one of those experiences
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I think it would be ok to go ahead and start the idea of potty training without having any real expectations. My DD is only 9 months old but we have already started introducing the ideas to her but I don't plan on starting to actually train her until at least 20-24 months. She loves to follow me to the bathroom so when I have to go I make a point of saying pee goes in the potty, and letting her help with the flushing so that she isn't afraid of the sounds or seeing the water going down. Just small things but my hope is that by teaching her what is supposed to happen it will be easier to teach her what to do when she starts showing the signs of being ready.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 10:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010