when is it time to throw out the bottle?

my son is 14 months old, he drinks his juice and water out of his cup but he wont drink milk from the cup so he still has a bottle, he slept through the night after 2 months old and has started waking up between 3 am and 5 am over the last 2 months for his bottle, what can i do to stop this waking up for a bottle?

dbarkley101306

Asked by dbarkley101306 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, you can't really get him to stop waking, but you should switch to a cup even at night. At this point he doesn't NEED a bottle. But if he's waking like that he must be needing something. I would also switch him to water at night, because he's more likely to drink something just because he likes the taste over thirst through the night. You don't want to deny him if he's really thirsty, but if he's waking for other reasons you'll want to quail that - which is why I suggest water... I would also, if you can, leave him a small cup of water by the bed (get a sippy w/a valve so it doesn't spill in the bed) so that he can get it himself and doesn't wake you - because chances are he's waking and wanting attention more than anything.

Good Luck

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:52 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• By the time he was14 months I took away everything but the middle of the night bottle. If he woke up I would throw a bottle in his crib and go back to bed. That was the last and final one to break. I stopped bottles just after he turned 15 months. I started giving him a cup in the middle of the night. He was sooooo not happy with me for a few nights, but adjusted well.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It is all in YOUR hands momma,

you have the control....not your child..

Toss it NoW....he will drink milk from the cup, if that is all you have to offer...
    Trust me...It is you, not him...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 9:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• thank you all for your answers
    dbarkley101306

Answer by dbarkley101306 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• My doctor told me to start taking it at a year and to have it absolutely gone by 15 months :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• i took my daughters bottle away at a year and her pacifier away at 9 months maybe try to ween him with one of the sippy cups with the soft tops or water at night ,, or just stop all at once
    KYMOMMY2007

Answer by KYMOMMY2007 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We threw them away on their first bithday, but they were pretty much off them before that.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• 12 months and the bottle should be completely gone. Good luck
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My sons was gone at 12 months. Just beware..he is now almost 2 and taking the sippy cup away is going to be much harder on him. I am SO not looking forward to it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2010