Can Chicken Pox Vaccine really cause chickenpox? Help?

My DS got the chickenpox vaccine about 24 days ago. Yesterday he started getting a what looks like chickenpox rash on his sides stomach and legs. I am reading that, in a small percentage of people who are
vaccinated, 7%–8%, a rash of several small
bumps or pimples may develop at the spot
where the shot was given or on other parts of
the body. This can occur up to 1 month after
immunization and can last for several days.

Could my DS son really be the 7-8% who get this rash? Should I worry? And should he also get the MMRvax could this vax do the same thing or worse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I guess in cases where they use live or weakened varicella,you can get the disease. I believe the MMR is a dead vax.
    Anonymous

• He certainly could be that percent. There is no need to worry about it. They are better off actually getting the pox themselves. I have not heard of the MMR causing it in the person who got the shot (that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, i just haven't seen anything). But i do know the MMR as well as the chicken pox vaccine contain live viruses that can shed and give the disease to other people.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:58 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• 1st anon - MMR contains 2 live and 1 dead virus. I believe it is the measles and mumps that are live.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:59 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• yes the vaccine is LIVE virus chicken pox is really not a big deal unless your son is immune compromised-- MMR has 2 live 1 attenuated -- it is less likely to cause a problem b/c it is made differently-- Chicken pox formulation uses human fetal tissue in the making-- MMR uses bovine so it is less like the natural disease
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Yes. The CP Vax is a live vax. Meaning that it "immunizes" by giving your body a small case of the illness... In some cases this can and does cause a full blown case. Chickenpox, Flu, Polio and many others are like this... There are also vaccines which do not contain live viruses, these will not generally "give" you the illness, but have other just as sever side effects in some cases.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Anon 9:57 - the "very rare" case of you getting a full blown case isn't all that rare... According to the CDC 1 in 28 CP vaccines cause an actual chickenpox infection... I'd say that's not rare.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:03 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• So could this rash that looks like chickenpox really be from the vaccine and do you think I should worry about it? I have tried researching and I am having little luck at finding anything out bc maybe it only happens it such a small %
    Anonymous

• Yes the vac and "cause" chicken pox. It's a life-almost dead virus that is in the vac. The reason they give a life-almost dead virus is so that the immune system will have a change to attack it. In some cases a mild-chicken pox out break is possible. Also just beause he was given the vac doesn't mean he won't get chicken pox. I know a family that have been all vac and they STILL chicken pox. A few families in my homeschooling circle have gotten in.

Personally, in my opinion, I think it's nuts that we are vac. against chicken pox. When I was a kid it was as common as the cold and if you knew someone that had it you exposed yourself to them in hopes to get it too.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• chance to attack it... And few families my my homeschooling circle got it, even though they have been vac. UGH the typos! Do you need to worry about it, personally my opinion, the answer is NO!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Yes, you can get the chicken pox. Ridiculous right? What a waste. and now your child has nasty things in his/her blood stream!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2010