Vaccinations

I have a one year old. He has gotten all his vaccinations until now and is getting ready to get his one year vaccinations. I would like to do some research on vaccinations such as risks, benefits, possible side effects, etc, in order to prepare for future vaccinations that they will encourage. Can anyone give me some websites and/or references that provide GOOD, SOLID research. I don't care if there's bias, as long as there are multiple sides to the debate on the same site.

I don't want to give my kids any dangerous or unnecessary vaccinations (already decided against chicken pox vaccination) but I still plan to vaccinate. I basically want to choose the ones I want to get. Please give me any information that you believe will be helpful. Thanks!

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• you really should do your own research-- go to a local college library with a medical or nursing specialty at the school you will have access to things like CINHAL, apocrates -- and read a few
    also ask your doctor before your visit for the package insert on the vaccine then take it home read it at home and ask ??
    How is it made? from what source? how long has it been in use on humans (that is always a good ?-- if it is less then 10 years dont get it (ex HPV vax)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:24 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Thanks for the tips, MELRN! I appreciate the specific questions. They're good ideas and I will definitely be instituting them! =)

I do intend to do my own research, which was why I asked for references. So I could do that research. Thanks, though! =)
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I AGREE WITH MLRN . I STARTED MY DAUGHTERS SHOTS WHEN SHE WAS 6 MTHS OLD. I ALSO ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS BEFORE SHE EVEN WOULD GET HER SHOTS. THE ONE SHOT I DID NOT GIVE HER WAS THE "MMR" SHOT I WAITED UNTIL SHE WAS 20 MTHS OLD. I JUST FELT BETTER ABOUT IT. THE SHOT S MAKE ME NERVOUS. MY DAUGHTER IS 2.5 OLD. MY PEDS DOCTOR WAS GREAT ABOUT ME NOT WANTING TO GIVE HER SHOTS RIGHT AWAY AND I ALSO GAVE HER ONE AT A TIME NOT 3 AT A TIME!!!
    Anonymous

• i dont know about your DR's office, but my DR has sheets on information about every vaccine that they give.
    i personally will give my son every vaccine except for the chicken pox, and swine flu.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:38 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• If there is a homeopathic doctor in your area check with them. I won't give my son the MMR vaccine because of what's in it and the risks. My questions are:

What's in it?
    How does it work?
    What are the effects of the vaccine?
    What are the effects of the illness/disease?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• doctors are only going to give you the typical forms. its not going to have ALL of the ingredients. i tried this and they bs you.

Yes, check with a homeopathic doctor, theyll explain a LOT to you and let you make your own decision wont shove it down your throat
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• www.nvic.org is a good site, and you can get more links from there.
    www.cdc.gov is an informative site as well. i think the pink books is where you want to be looking.
    you should look into adjuvants as well.
    personally, i think you should be aware of the ingredients used in a vaccine as well as some basics on how the immune system works.
    shirleys-wellness-cafe.com seems to be a neat site for health in general, but i have only just started looking at it myself.
    you need to be aware of your legal rights in your state, nvic can help you there.

for our children's health, we look at optimizing it, and prevention of ailments. if something comes up, we investigate natural solutions and natural cures for it. our children get adjusted weekly, sleep well, play well, eat well (we are always working on this :)) and love well. we believe in living a balanced life to optimize health, and then when we are facing viruses we can fight well!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• vaclib.com....

that site also provides a TON of other links you can check out as well. its more against vaccines but you should look at both sides when doing it! :) gl
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 12, 2010