Planting Raspberry Shoots?

I have a back thumb, I tend to kill plants. But I LOVE raspberries and so I got a whole bunch of babies. Some are a bit bigger, and a few are smaller. Right now the weather is wonky and I want to wait for them to be a bit more mature before I put them outside. At the moment they're sitting in root booster in buckets, some even sitting in a margarine container being too small for a bucket.
So anyhow, what do I do with them?

VolpeFemmina

Asked by VolpeFemmina at 11:14 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• As long as there is not longer a chance of frost, get them in the ground.

They grow like weeds! It will be a year or two before they have fruit.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• No danger of frost? Plant now! But don't forget to water them. They are like weeds around here and will GROW, GROW, GROW!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I concur, but don't overwater them, black-thumbed lady! One good, thorough watering a week for the first month (if nature didn't do it for you,) then only if the leaves are looking droopy. Next year, they probably won't need watering ever again.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• you can plant raspberries anytime frost or not. they are perennials and greatly prolific. just make sure you put them in a place you will want them forever- because the canes will likely continue to regenerate for your lifetime or longer. Maintenance free for the most part, if you have dual bearing berries prune your 2yr old canes in February.( future reference-make note somewhere)

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:38 PM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I am looking for someone who has extra canes of raspberries that they would be willing to get rid of????
    oldnavykids2

Answer by oldnavykids2 at 8:58 PM on Jul. 5, 2010