Breast Pump Question

So I'm going to be a breastfeeding SAHM soon, and I have been thinking about whether I should buy a breast pump. What are the advantages to having one? I will have no trouble breastfeeding this kid for the first year or so of its life--I don't need DH to do it. I don't know if there are any other things you need to know about my life to suggest whether I need to buy a pump.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Jun. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast pumps are good to have so you have milk on hand in case of emergencies or if you won't be around the baby to feed. It also good to have to help begin the flow of milk plus empty your breast in case the baby doesn't. when you are done feeding if you still have milk ,emptying will help you create more milk. the more milk you use the more milk the body will produce. Not only that but its help to pump before feeding to encourage the milk to come down. So a pump will be really useful
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• Thank you for your response! But isn't it best to let my body figure out the supply/demand based on my LO? Is pumping THAT necessary?
    Anonymous

• When I was a SAHM the only time I pumped was to leave a bottle for DS if we were going out w/o him. Other than that I never had a reason to.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I just used a cheap breast pump and did it in the car if we would be driving long distances or gone for a long time and didnt want to stop to bf, that way I could just give her the bottle. I didnt need anything fancy. Iknow of a mom though who pumps a lot and freezes it then when the baby is too old to bf she can still give them the milk.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• And yes, anon you are correct- baby's demand will encourage your supply. You don't need to pump if your baby doesn't want to eat then. Pumping will just tell your body to make more milk, when you aren't using what it's making to begin with, kwim?
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:44 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• It's great for upping supply if you want to freeze extra, or for times when baby is having a growth spurt and you just can't keep up. Yes, during those times, let baby feed on empty breast anyway to up your supply, but then you can give him/her some pumped milk after... it helps. I BF exclusively for 6 months, then supplemented 50% formula til about a year, never even bought one can of formula until 6 months, but couldn't live without my pump during that time! Loved it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You're a SAHM, and know that dad can bond with baby in ways other than feeding baby, so I guess the only other question would be how do you feel about NIP? If you're comfortable with it, a pump isn't necessary to prepare a bottle for baby while out and about.

I would however, recommend a manual pump. For the "just in case" scenarios. Like you have an important Dr's appointment and cannot take baby and want a bottle on hand just in case it takes longer than expected and you don't make it back by baby's next feeding. If you cannot see a reason why you'd need to pump on a regular basis, a manual pump would work just fine if you HAD to use one occasionally.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I am a SAHM and use my pump a few times a week. I am trying to get my dd used to a cup and also use it to pump milk to mix with her cereal. I didn't get an expensive one, it was 50 dollars, single electric/battery. a manual would also do the trick for occasional use. It's not completely necessary but it is nice to have.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Pumping is not necessary if you will be with your child all day. You may want a night out; you may even want to leave your baby with Grandma overnight.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2010