Do you and your mom agree when it comes to raising your child?

Or do you just agree to disagree?
I have to say that my mom and I have some major differences when it comes to child raising. But her ways aren't necessarily the best ways, nor are they right. Besides, as I often like to remind her, I am me. I am not her, therefore, I am not going to do everything just as she did.
There are things, however, that she was spot on about.
And yes, I do tell her when she's right.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 12:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just today my mom and I got into a fight over vaccines. She agrees with them and I don't. We agreed to disagree.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I do everything opposite of what my mom would do. I don't think she was a very good mom and I want better for my child. She criticizes me but I let it go in one ear and out the other. I feel bad for her because I know she never had the kind of loving relationship with any of us like I have with my daughter. She will never know the joy I have.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• N O
    N O O O O O
    N O O O O O O O O O O
    N O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

N O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We pretty much agree.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• we agree on most major things.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I say so but she was no prize not that she was the worse so she really can't say much. I disagree more with my MIL and what you said is exactly true. They had their turn now its ours so leave us alone and let us do our thing!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• haha we agree on a few but the weird part is how angry she gets when I don't do as she says.Since I finished college at 22 I have been self supporting by either me or when we decided for me to be a SAHM my dh.We have never lived with her , needed her to be a built in babysitter or borrowed a penny.My kids are far from perfect but rang from middle school to college and are honor roll students ,not perfect but good kids nothing major.Yet she seriously thinks she should tell me the correct way and my thoughts are worthless.She thinks she should be obeyed.So though we live in the same city I let the machine pickup and return calls about every 10 days and see her about once a month except for holidays and birthdays etc.I tried to just nod and say will see but that led to being screamed at for patronizing her.She expects total obedience.It is sad but about 13 years ago when she decided she named my youngest I was done.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Yes - we pretty much agree. She did an excellent job raising me and my 4 siblings - if all of mine turn out as well as hers, I will consider it a job well done! There are some differences in how I do things (I breastfed, she formula fed - but in her defense, when I was a baby only poor people in our area breastfed. She has read about breastfeeding being better and is glad I do it) due to things changing over time, but I tend to enforce a lot of the same rules I grew up with and discipline in the same fashion. My mom is a great resource!

Answer by missanc at 8:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My mom and I agree to let me do it my way. She had her chance to raise her kids her way. She's good with being grandma and not mommy.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I lost my mom when I was 11 years old, but I am a grandmother to a 16 month old granddaughter who is the most precious thing I have in my life right now. My older daughter (her mommy) and she live with us so I have been like a second mom since the baby was born.
    My daughter and I disagree on MANY things! She is very lazy and does not put her child first in her life. For example, the baby needs food, milk, diapers, and a bath, but my daughter forces her to sleep in late (up to 13 hours!) so she won't have to get up to do anything and then she runs off to go bowling or who-knows-where. We constantly tell her what she has to do and she procrastinates. Of course, we buy what the baby needs when she runs out, but we give our daughter the bill to make her responsible.
    My biggest battle with her is her not changing the crib sheet when it gets pee or poop on it, or leaving dirty diapers on her bedroom floor.
    I don't know what to do.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010