Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I take pictures of the inside of my childs fathers car without him knowing ?

My child goes to his fathers house every weekend. I am trying to take him back to court to try to get less time for visitation. I feel that the fathers house is a pig yard and that it is unsafe for my son to live there. I know I can't take pictures of the inside of him home with out him knowing so I thought maybe I can take pictures of the inside of his car without him knowing and use them in court. Is that legal?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (8)
  • If it's parked in a public place I don't see why not. I don't know what taking pictures of his car is going to do for you in court though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • Not sure the Court cares about his car. Why not send CPS to investigate if you think it's not safe for your child?

    Answer by admckenzie at 12:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • I agree with the PP. Send CPS. Even if they give him warning, if it really is that bad then he is probably really lazy and wont have it clean by the time they show up.

    Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • Well my guess would be that she wants to take pics of the inside of his car to show how trashy it is, maybe it's super dirty and his house is the same way. I would think it would be perfectly legal if you can take the pictures through the glass on the windows. But I agree if you think there is a problem, don't hesitate to call CPS in on it because they CAN remove your son from his home if it is deemed unfit for a child. Good luck!

    Answer by AprilDJC at 12:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • You can take some pics when he comes to pick up your child. I would walk him to the car and act like your putting his bag/suitcase in the car and snap some pics with your cell phone or camera. I agree,I don't know if the courts would be concerned with his car, but I do agree about calling CPS and report anonymously when your child is over there on a visit. Say, your a concerned neighbor. I would not admit this to your ex, in case nothing comes out of it..the court will just thing your lying and starting trouble. If CPS is concerned about the environment the child is in when they investigate they will get the courts involved and you could get sole custody with monitored phone visits, or supervised visits by you or a CPS caseworker. If he's a good dad, but just messy or dirty I would just talk to him about it and don't try to get him in trouble.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • What's so wrong with being messy and dirty? As long as he doesn't have choking hazards or pet feces lying on the floor, not that big of a deal... I hope it's not to that extent!!! Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • That's his dad why are you trying to take time away from him? :( What did he do to deserve this? You'd
    have to take a very good picture to win this one GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • You can try. It would be legal. But possibly not very beneficial...lots of people have messy cars and as long as the car seat is in properly there's no reason to bel0eive the child will touch the mess or that it's a problem.

    And if you call CPS, understand that the house needs to be an actual health hazard. Exits blocked, rotting food, animal feces, rodent infestations, hazardous items left where baby can get at them...THOSE are problems. If it's merely messy that might not be a problem.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.