switching formula

I'm going to attempt to switch my 6m dd from enfamil to a very comparable store brand. I'm not exactly sure how to go about switching. Any advice?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 12:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I recently switched and I just went cold turkey from Enfamil to Gerber (they had a better deal). My son is older than your dd though and he is pretty flexible when it comes to food ;-) Also, his main calorie intake now comes from solid food so I was not too worried about the switch. If he were your daughter's age, I would go more gradually, introducing one bottle a day, then 2, etc... Provided the store brand is comparable to Enfamil and you are confident she will be getting the same quality formula... And talking to the ped would not hurt either if you need some reassurance.
    Mona02638

Answer by Mona02638 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Maybe gradually, every other feeding, or can you mix the two? and then slowly give smaller and smaller amnts of the one you arent gibing anymore and more of the new one... Im not sure i havent FF but seems smart to me! :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• you should call the pediatrician. It has to be gradually but they will tell you how much. I never realized with my first switching was a huge deal but it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I did the same thing around the same age. Thier tummies are a little tougher then. I mixed one small can of each brand together in a canister and gave it to him. Then just went to the other brand. He was fine with it. Never had any issues :) And just in case you were questioning whether store brand is ok...It is. Just read the comparison labels. I even asked my doc. She said the same thing. I have used 75 percent store brand and 25 percent similac advance over my sons first year. (hell be one the 27th) and hes doind great. Had a tiny cold twice. Other than that no issues. And hes 50th percent for weight, and 75th for height, so no growing issues either:)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2010