When to start potty training?

My daughter can walk, say a few words, and pulls off her diaper when she pees in it. But she just turned 1 . She seems advanced enough to try, but when is a good age to potty train?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 1:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Around 18 months worked for us, but with my second, she was really interested and staying dry for a long time around 15-16 months, so we started easing into it a little earlier. She did really great in a lot of ways, but it wasn't until 18-19 months that things really started to click. In your place, I'd get a little potty and a potty ring and let her try it out if she wants to, but no pressure. Then I think it IS okay to put a little gentle "pressure" by about 18 months when they're capable of controlling their bladders and planning potty trips. I'm a fan of training early, but it is certainly a little work. To me, it's just part of the work of parenting... but a lot of people will tell you basically to wait until they initiate and carry out the training themselves... That happens for some kids at 2, 3, 4... some other kids don't and are labeled "not interested" or "stubborn." Parenting style plays a big part...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• depends on how much longer you wanna change diapers! lol. I got a potty for my 13 mo old dd a while ago & put it in w/ her toys. We played on it, took it apart, explored every inch of it then I introduced her to what its for. she always poops when she eats so I'll put the potty on the table next to her high chair & when she starts to poop I'll put her on the potty & sing the potty song. When I go I'll put her on her potty & sing the potty song too, I'll only sing & clap while she sits on the potty. I don't really care if she actually goes or not, just introducing the idea still so its not an abrupt change or area of power struggle. I have a baby dictator on my hands so any way to remove the power struggle is great in my book! By exposing her to it over a longer period of time & not expecting her to know how to use it IMO makes it less stressful on the kid & mom.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• im a firm believer of age 3! The third b-day exactly, because they understand! Plus for all 3 of my potty trained children, after that day they were completely done after one week to include underwear at night! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think if she is already doing all that then why not take baby steps and start the process now. My son was potty trained by 18 months, I personally think it works better and takes less time to potty train when they are younger.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Oh and I don't think there is a magic age to potty train, every child is different.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010