How do I get my DD to stop pinching when she's breastfeeding?

I've tried telling her no, lightly slapping her hand, stopping her eating when she does it. I just don't know how to get her to stop. She just pulls off the mittens if I try them. I trim her nails all the time but I still have bruises, nail marks, and scratches from her. HELP! She is making BF unbareable!

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 1:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just remove her hand and get a nursing necklace, or wear toy ring around your neck, or clip a toy to your shirt. Don't slap her hands, please. They can't help it, its mostly subconscious.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• It's a comfort thing, if she's doing what I think she's doing. My dd moves her hand kind of like opening and closing a fist? It's a form of self soothing. I find it helps to give dd a fistful of my shirt, that way she doesn't get a handful of my skin.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• A nursing necklace makes a HUGE difference. It's just a chunky necklace that she can play with. Also check out the kellymom.com article on teaching nursing manners. You do not have to allow the behavior.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Ditto what the PP's said, she isnt trying to hurt you it is just a soothing action all babies do. Have you ever noticed when kittens or puppies feed they paw at the mother? same thing (sorry its the only visual i can think of this late at night) I let my children hold a toy or i would hold their hand and stroke their fingers, my son loved holding a dish towel sized blanket that had a teddy bear head on it. My daughter was gentle and would rub my skin, even now at age 5 if she is upset she will climb in my lap and rub my arm while cuddling, it is just something that makes them feel better. Breastfed babies crave skin on skin contact, it is what comforts them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My LC said it's their way of encouraging letdown. I had to put the mittens back on (and fight to keep them on) for about a week, then he stopped the pinching. It's just a phase. I tried the nursing necklace, got beat up with it. lol
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I know this sounds weird, but scream really loud like she just hurt you. She may cry the first few times, but it worked like a charm for me. She never did it ever again!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My little girl does this, I usually give her some of my shirt to play with or just have her grab my finger. Doesn't always work, but I'm not sure slapping her hand is the right thing to do. One - that's not very nice & two - telling her "no, don't hurt mama" while doing something that generally hurts is a little counter-productive & confusing, don'tcha think?
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• haha don't scream either!

look up teething bling necklaces, or follow them on facebook. baby just needs something to grasp.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2010