Question about IUDs

My DH and I are thinking about getting an IUD. We don't want anymore kids for a few years and think it would just be easiest. I remember after having my baby discussing it with my midwife but I don't remember what she told me about them. I know very little about IUDs and was wondering what everyones opinions are of them? The only ones I have heard of are Mirena and Paraguard(sp?). I know nothing about side effects, hormones, etc. Any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Health

• speckysbeckys has a point! MomnBabygirl009 were u on ur period when u got it inserted? They told me i had to be. So i went in while i was on my period. I never knew why until specky said that. Makes sense! But it honestly wasnt painful like that for me. And i am one who tenses up for yearly pap exams. I just get this anxiety and i hate pain. But it wasnt that bad. I was relieved. The worst part i could say was the cramping when she was inserting it. It reminded me of labor pains. But i did my best to stay relaxed and not tense up. It was over within 10 minutes. And ya my SO could feel it and still does sometimes but i tell him HEY would u rather me not have it and me end up getting preggo by accident, cuz u know we dont take care of ourselves otherwise, OR deal with it and we are preggo free! He chose the latter and shut up real quick HAHA! I just had the dr cut the strings short as possible.
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have the paraguard IUD and I love it so far, I've only had it for a short amount of time. but it's really the best choice for me cause hormones make me crazy.

I would ask your doctor about it they can give you more info and answer all your questions.
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 1:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have mirena. and i love it!! i didnt bleed at all after getting it in, i havent gotten a period at all UNTIL a few weeks ago i got a very light one.
    i dont cramp or anything however i did cramp when getting it for about 45 minutes then it went away.

i loveee it a lot!!! ive had it for 15 months!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i have the mirena too and i love it! its worry-free! i have had it going on 17 months. i had 1 period 2 months after i got it inserted and havent had another one since. i get period symptoms every month, and sometimes light spotting but no period comes of it. Everything else is peachy keen!

As far as getting it inserted, i expected the worst! My co-worker scared the crap outta me! I was surprised at how fast it was, and just a pinch really. I did get medium cramping during insertion but nothing to die over! And i was lightly crampy the rest of the day with very minimal light spotting. By the end of the day i was fine! I just walked funny for a couple days cuz i thought i was going to feel it LOL, u dont feel anything!!!! It was just my own mind that thought i would. Its really no big deal and i am sooo glad i got it!!!
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 3:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• nathansmommy mine hurt SOOO bad to get it!! THE WHOLE TIME... ugh i hated it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:36 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i had the paraguard and i was so looking forward to it but it hurt bad going in and i bleed for like i week after. the doctor told me that i would feel it but i did it was so uncufertible. my husband hated it too. he said he could feel it every time we had sex. and then one day i was on my period have really bad cramps and the thing came out. i thought it was a good idea but it didnt work for me just ask ur doctor and good luck
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have had mine for going on two years. I love it!!! I spot a little each month. When I got it, it hurt really bad but only because I had it put in when I was NOT on my period. Most Drs. will tell you it is better to get it put in while you are ON your period. Your cervix is softer and you are already "opened" up. This is the reason it hurt so bad to have it put in. Most people don't have that much pain. My husband has never felt it and it has never come out. Most people's don't but it is definitely something to ask your Dr about.
    I love mine and in three more years.....I'm getting another one!!! It is so nice to NOT have a period and to NOT have to worry about birth control for FIVE YEARS!! If I were you I would Google Mirena, there is a ton of info online!!
    speckysbeckys

Answer by speckysbeckys at 11:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010