At what age could your child recognize letters and numbers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 10 mo
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure when he started, but my son is 18 months and the other day when we were at the pool he pointed to the "3 FT" sign and said "3" We haven't really been working on numbers and letters, so I was a little surprised, but his language is exploding and I'm just now recognizing a lot of what he's been "babbling" about for the past few months.

Answer by missanc at 8:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• my dd is 2, and she doesn't recognize letters and numbers....she can count to 5, and says them in order...but doesn't recognize them yet..but we havent been working with her yet..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• my son is not quite two and although he can count out loud to 12 (and maybe to 15 although 13,14,15 all sound the same and sometimes he says too many) he can only recognize numbers 1, 2 and 3.
    As for letters, it is completely hit and miss. Sometimes he will pick up a block, tell me the letter and then ignore me when I ask him about the other blocks. He also confuses certain letters like O and D, T and I, etc...I do think he is just holding out on though and knows most of them.
    Fisherprice.com has a really great alphabet game that he loves to play.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 8:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• that was a long time ago. I know when he was 18 months he could count to 10 in 4 languages.
    I will say about 1 year old. I had all the letters and numbers taped up on the dining room wall in order then once he had them down I would move them and he would then put them back in order.
    He would read #'s and letters when we would go out shopping and spell things to me so I could tell him the word, then the next time he would see the word he would read it.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I've been trying to remember. My 2 1/2 year old knows 1,2,and 3 and that's it. My 4 1/2 year old is reading and writing simple sentances. He could barely talk at 2, so maybe around 3 to 3 1/2?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• some at early 3 but every thing by late 3. I thought i was doing a good job just teaching him saying his numbers. He could count to 20 and he knew the entire alphabet and i thought that was great but when i took him to head start the teacher told me that all the other kids that she had been teaching could recognize the letters. I was shocked and i felt so guilty for not teaching my son that. It only took him a few months though for him to catch on to everything. He if a fast learner
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I do not think that 10 months or one year is average at all even though some PP's kids did it. I think it depends on the child and how much you work with them.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• 2-3 for his name and a few others. He knew them all when he was 4. Now at 5, we're working on actual reading.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2010