Early bed time, late riser?

Hi, I read in books that an early bed time for babies does not mean they will wake up earlier, sometimes even the opposite. My son (10 months old) goes to bed between 8 and 8:30 PM and wakes up around 5-5:30 AM (6 AM on lucky days ;-). He seems to be a 9 to 10-hour sleep per night so am not sure that putting him to bed earlier would help and, on the contrary, I am tempted to put him to bed a little later but am afraid he will still wake up early and miss on some precious sleep. Did you push bed time and did it impact wake up time or not? Or, has more activity (such as started walking) helped? My husband and I are getting used to getting up early but we would not mind waking up a little later ;-))) Thanks for your feedback!!!

Mona02638

Asked by Mona02638 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At around 5-6 months we started pushing my son's bedtime from 9 PM to 7 PM (in 15 minute intervals). He continued to sleep until 7 AM (which works for us since that's when my older kids get up for school - when they are at their dad's and he doesn't hear them, he sleeps a little later). And the higher activity level for him doesn't really change his nighttime sleeping, but it does encourage a longer nap for him.

Answer by missanc at 8:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My dd, 13 mo, will sleep for 10-11 hours no matter what time she goes to bed. Usually she'll sleep until 9 but it can vary as early as 7 (she likes to wake up to see daddy off to work). She started sleeping later the older she got. Is he ready to sleep when its bedtime or are you struggling to get him to lie down cuz he's so full of energy? If this is the case then push his bedtime back a bit & see what happens, he can always make up for any sleep he misses this one time in his naps during the day. How much she sleeps during nap time is affected by what she's been doing, if she's teething, not feeling well etc, don't notice a change in her night time sleep though.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think when my son was that age, bedtime was between 7-7:30 and he slept until 7:00 AM. Try pushing bedtime back and hour for a few days and see if that helps.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• u my epeirience, All of my kids went/ go to bed early. Baby 21 months at 7 pm & older girls @ 8pm. They all get up about 6:30 am.I've tried putting to bed later, & it made no difference, I just have early risers.'
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• 7 to 7:30 would be a better bed time for your son. Move it slowly in that direction, making it 15 min earlier each night. If you put a baby to sleep too late they definitely wake up way too early.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• mine are in bed by 7 and up at 6:30 like clock work!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't mess with it. It could backfire. If it ain't broke don't go banging it with a hammer.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• When my daughter goes to bed earlier, she gets up earlier. When she goes to bed later, she gets up later. She never did what the books say and got up later, the earlier she went to bed.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son gets up the same time every day no matter when he goes to bed. On a normal day he goes to bed at 8. Every day hes up at 8. Even if he goes to bed at midnight. Baby could just be programmed that way?
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I read in a book that if a baby wakes up real early, like the 5-5:30 range that you should treat it like a night waking rather than being up for the day. My DD has mornings where she'll wake up around 5:30. A lot of times, I'll give her a paci and pat her on the tummy and she'll go back to sleep. This morning, she wasn't having any of that. I let her talk in her crib until about 6 am since she wasn't fussy. At 6, I got up, changed her, re-swaddled her, and brought her back to bed with me. She nursed and fell right back to sleep until 9 am. It could be that your LO really isn't getting up for the day, he just needs something and will go back to sleep.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2010