how do you tell your child they dont always have to share?

My 4 year old has some of them silly bandz i know kids are suppose to trade them she does do that but her 5 year old friend comes over like everyday wanting some of my childs so my child gave her 3 of them she comes over the next day asking for more saying her dog ate the other ones my child already told her she don't have alot left but she keeps asking so my child keeps giving in and giving them to her how do you let you kid know that she don't have to give them away all the time they are alot of money for 12 little bandz i paid $4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You can tell your sweet heart that she doesn't have to give her toys away, that you bought them for her, & to share one is good enough .Tell her to tell her friend that ," my mommy said I can't give them away." Other wise it sounds like this little friend may take her to the cleaners....lol
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Explain to her that it is nice to share, but that does not mean you have to give them your things. Maybe you could suggest rather than giving the other little girl the bands, that to share them, when the other little girl comes over, she lets her play with them while she is at your house. And that she should give them back before she goes home.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Explain the difference between giving and trading! When you give one you are supposed to get one in return! That is the point of them!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Tell her she has to ask you before sharing, to make sure it's okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Tell the 5 y/o to stop taking them from your daughter. We live in apartments and kids are always coming trying to get my children's toys. There is one girl that consistently takes my 4 y/os toys and my daughter won't say no. I was outside one day when she came to get some toys and I told her no and I told her to stop asking for toys. They were the cheap little sand beach toys but, still her mother needs to provide them for her. She said she was going to tell her mom but, I never heard anything else. I have explained to my kids that there are some things they can share and some things they can not. Don't bother bashing me, I live in a neighborhood where most parents don't care what their kids do, I regularly see 2 year olds being "watched" by there 5 and 6 year old siblings because their parents can't be bothered.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• That's so sad. I actually had to have this conversation with my middle daughter but it had to do with her siblings. Actually I just had it again with her the other day and she's 7 now. She got a bunch of new summer clothes over the weekend because nothing she had fit anymore. My oldest daughter didn't get anything because it's hard to judge her size (she's super skinny and needs to try stuff on). The oldest convinced her to let her "borrow" her new clothes. The 7yo is just super nice and wants to please so she let her wear. It's been 2 days and the oldest is still wearing the shirt and I know next time she wants to wear something that belongs to the 7yo she will just take it because the 7yo said it was okay that 1 time. Problem is the oldest won't ever share with the 7yo. She threw a fit when the 7yo wanted to wear 1 of her shirts for pictures.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• what are silly bandz?
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010