Mainly for Christians but others can pipe in

Another question got me to thinking as I read it last night but I got distracted. As I do for I'm only human. When you do something for others. Are you thinking what am I going to get out of it? Or do you not even think about it and just do it because it's the right thing to do even if it's difficult?

oldermomof5

Asked by oldermomof5 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not "christian" per se.

I don't do things with the expectation of getting something in return; but after I've done several things and no thanks; or their assistance is denied when I'm in need; I then find myself stewing over all that I have done.

My SO & I may not have a lot; and we may not be able to buy presents everytime a friends child has a b-day or whatever; but if they need help; a ride; a babysitter; a car fixed; clothes to borrow; toys to borrow; whatever if we have it to share; we do. There are plenty of times when we look at each other and say 'Why do we bother; these people don't appreciate it" yet when someone asks for things we still help out.

Maybe that makes us 'doormats' - but I was raised to "Do Unto Others..." or "What goes around comes around" - so just because other ppl are mannerless asshats doesn't mean I should be too.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• what an amazing question. I do because it is what is in my heart and I do not expect anything in return however..I will say that sometimes I get hurt when people trample on me but it has never stopped me from giving out of my heart.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I do not hink what i am going to get out of it, never have. I am not Christian though, grew up Hindu but it seems as if i am connecting with Tibetan Bhuddhism these days. But, we were raised to help people. We were raised to do things for others without any expectations & i continue to do things with absolutely no expectations all the time. For instance, i am now watching a puppy for a week. I did not really wan to do it, but my friend needed the help. The first thing DH said was "how much is she paying you" I said that i don't know if she plans on paying me, but i don't care...that is not the point. The point is, is that she needs help. DH would not have watched the dog without getting paid & she is not paying me, I'm OK w/ that.

I have lots of friends who over the years, i am learning that some only do things if it is worth it to them. And i think most people live this way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• samurai...I would love to talk to you more. I am interested in hearing how you were raised :) that is so cool
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I do nice things for people without expecting something in return all the time. The people that I do nice things for would never do that for me, unfortunately. But that's ok.
    BrandyBaby22

Answer by BrandyBaby22 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Helping others is what my heart tells me to do. I don't think about what I will get back in return. I do not expect thank yous from anyone or a high five from my Deity.  For me, helping out another human is something you just do.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• agree wonder women. Some folks have tried to take advantage of me too. Once people learn that you do thing from the bottom of you're heart, they try to take advantage. I have learned over the years though, that when people try to take advantage, it's just better to say no, I'm not going to help you this time. You never want people walking on you. I've had friends drop me because once i learned they were taking advantage, i would put a stop to it & then they would get mad at me for not getting their way. If they want to break friendship over something like that, then by all means...let it be broken. I don't have time for people who only know how to consume & not give back to the world in some way, shape, or form.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I do things for people, because it is what is right. If I choose to do something for someone, it is my choice, so I don't expect anything in return.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• When I help people I don't think I just do what my heart tells me, which gets me hurt too often. Because that is all anyone does anymore is look out for themselves and whats in it for them.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have always liked helping and giving, and have never expected anything in return.
    I am not a Christian.
    Peacelovehope4

Answer by Peacelovehope4 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010