Law questions for anyone that has gone through a divorce

My DH has decided he's never really loved me and is wanting a divorce. This came as complete shock to me so I'm sort of numb. I've helped raise his two boys for almost the last 4 yrs, they are now 4 and 5. I'm the one moving out, I've been offered a place on a friends couch, but it's 5 hrs from here.
My problem is my health is not good so I've been unable to work hardly at all. I'm not sure I'll be able to find a job, I've pretty much been a SAHM most of my life and there really isn't anything I can do to support myself. He said that I won't be able to file for alimony since we've not been together for 6 yrs, we've only been married for a little over 2-1/2.
If anyone is a lawyer or has had actual experience with this, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. I live in the state of Florida, pm me if you want.
Thanks

daisy521

Asked by daisy521 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sorry, no spousal support after being married such a short time. I live in FL and I was married longer than you and didn't get a dime. You will be fine. If you can't work then apply for SSI
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I know in ohio it is 1 year of spousal support for ever 3 years of marriage but you have to ask for it the judge won't just give it to you.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 10:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• we're in an apartment, he works and gets va cuz he's a disabled vet even though he's only 26. I'm so scared I can't even eat anything. I've got type 2 diabetes and it's not helping anything, I also can't sleep worth a darn. The boys have been visiting their mom and don't know about the yet. It's going to kill them when they find out that he's made me leave.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Common Florida Alimony questions and answers

I have been married for 4 years and my spouse has supported me the entire time. Can I get alimony?   Very unlikely.  In a 4 year marriage, Florida alimony law considers you an able-bodied adult, able to earn a living.

Look like he is right. No alimony.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Do NOT move out. If he wants a divorce let him sleep on a couch.
    Anonymous