bunk beds - what age is appropriate?

I have a 5 year old and 1.5 year old. We are expecting a third in December and I need the room , so we are getting my nephews old bunk beds. My 5 year old will sleep in them right away, but my 1 year old wont til he is over 2. Do you think these ages are too young for bunkbeds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• my dd will be 6 this month and i have one that just turned 2 last month and they have been sleeping in a bunk bed for about 2 months and we havent had any problems. right now they both sleep in the bottom bunk because the baby would always climb to the top in the middle of the night to sleep with her, but with them both on the bottom, they usually stay there all night just fine.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son was in a regular bed 2 months after he turned 2. Put the older one on the top

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• No child under 6 years of age should be sleeping on the top bunk because it is dangerous. I won't go into details about the things that can happen, but if you Google bunk bed accidents or deaths you'll see why it's not a good idea.

My oldest child had a bunk bed at 5, but if I'd known then what could happen she would not have had one. I don't intend to buy a bunk bed for my younger children ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Well, I fell off my bunk bed when I was 8 and broke my arm.... so.. i think you can probably get hurt at any age.

Ofcourse I would put the older one on top. My biggest concern is if my 2 year old tries climbing hte ladder when I am asleep..

I am not sure what other options i have. I have one room for 3 kids. A crib and 2 beds will not fit along with their dressers and toys and things....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My 5yo just got a bunk bed but he DOESN"T sleep on the top he just hangs out up there and reads books as long as there is limits everything should be fine. you know your child best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2010