How many sweet foods do your kids eat? what do they eat f0r breakfast?

so i think my 2 year old eats more sweet stuff than he should. my 6 yr old is pretty balanced about it, but what can i give them for breakfast thats quick and not sweet. i hate early mornings and when thy wake up at 8 i usually give them a poptart or nutrigrain bar and a glass of milk until i fully wake up and get them breakfast which may be a waffle, yogurt, or toast and jelly. which are all sweet. my oldest hates eggs, but thebaby will eat them. they dont care too much for grits either. through out the day their snacks are usually like applesauce, yogurt, (sugar free) pudding, (all sweet). they eat grape and bananas and peaches also sweet. they dont eat condy and cakes though. i just wonder what other things i can get them to eat that arent sweet. they usually eat pb&j for lunch its one of the few things i can get the baby to eat! lol

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My kids are ready to eat right when they wake up... at that time i am not quite functioning yet so i usually make them toast... one prefers butter, the other pb and jelly. Sometime i mix it up with waffles or muffins or bagels or hard boiled eggs. Occasionally cereal, but the little one likes it dry. If i do make eggs i usually do it as lunch. It seems like they are eating pretty well, at least it is not all junk...
    mom-x-2

Answer by mom-x-2 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Sweet coming from fruit- not bad. The poptarts and nutrigrain bars and all that other crap- not so great. My daughter usually eats an egg and toast or some cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios or plain Cheerios). She'll have some kind of fruit through the day, some veggies and probably a sandwich for lunch, but until after dinner, she doesn't get any sweets. And then she has to choose between a fruit snack, an ice cream or some jelly beans.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• my son doesnt usually eat many sweets. For breakfast he loves to eat fruit. We sometime do eggs and toast. He loves the pre-cooked bacon. I'm like you, too lazy in the morning to cook =) He will eat the cereal and nutrigrain bars too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My kids like sweets - they don't eat candy or cokes but could live on the things you mentioned (fruits, yogurt, etc). My youngest gets cheerios and milk for breakfast, the older ones fix their own - usually pancakes or waffles but we don't use syrup on them maybe just a bit of butter. Have you tried omelettes or a cheese quiche? They're eggs, but made differently your older one might eat them.

Do your kids like cheese? My kids will down some cheese cubes or string cheese with whole grain crackers. I also usually keep carrots and celery cut up in the fridge (they eat the carrots with some ranch and spread peanut butter on the celery) and my daughter loves some sliced cucumber with just a pinch of salt. Also - I make my own cereal trail mix out of whatever cereals we're almost out of and add some raisins (or you could leave them out to reduce "sweets")

Answer by missanc at 10:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Kiwi is allowed one "junk" snack a day, when ever she wants it, be it in the morning, mid day or night before bed. The rest of the time it's apples, bananas, strawberries, grapes, raw broccoli, raw baby carrots, sugar free applesauce, sugar and fat free yogurt w/fruit cut up in it. Sometimes she chooses her "Junk" food for breakfast and will have a poptart, usually chocolate. Most days breakfast is waffle w/out syrup or w/ a little sugar free syrup, or eggs, or plain toast, or a plate of fruit and/or veggies, or sometimes she'll have leftover chicken or something from the night before. Lunch is usually eggs, or leftover dinner, or a sandwich, or more fruit and veggies. She's an all day eater rather than 3 set meals and 1 or 2 set snacks. She's more likely to eat a little here, a little there. She's always been that way, and I figure it's alright because at the end of the day, she's eaten what she needs to.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• how about meats? sausage, bacon & a biscut? That's not too healthy, but with a side of fruit it's not a bad breakfast.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• ok this is the funny part. my son is a total comedian, and a drama-queen. i ALWAYS try to get him to eat more fresh fruit, but he has his dads genes and can smell healthy food a mile away. i have tried watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, apple, etc, each time, he will lean in and smell it (he smells everything thats new lol) and turn his head and say "BLAH!", then when i put it in his mouth HE WILL GAG! like literally cry and gag on the food like its soo disgusting! so im trying to work some healthier options in lol. he gets veggies at dinner time
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You can also try cereals with less sugar in them, like cheerios, rice crispies. Look & compare the grams of sugar in the things you buy. This can help with lowering their sugar.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• fruit and / or yogurt. cereals - usually special k with red berries or cherrios. if i've made fresh muffins or banana bread they will sometimes get that. if we have extra time in the morning we try for pancakes and eggs. if my husband is making breakfast it is breakfast quessadilla(sp?) with egg, cheese, bacon , etc.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My oldest has fruit and yogurt for breakfast. My youngest has eggs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2010