Do precancerous cells always mean HPV?

I've read where abnormal paps and dysplasia always mean HPV. However, a few years back I had some abnormal cells, got them removed and have since had an HPV test and it came back negative. Also, my doctor at the time never even mentioned HPV. Is it possible that I had it and it went away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Health

• Yes. It does go away! I had it had the cells even had to have 1/2 my cervix removed(which put me on bedrest when I got pregnant 3 years later) Now the tests are always neg!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:44 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I wish you luck, I had HPV a few years ago and now it turns out I have genital warts from a stupid thing I did when I was 18 :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Sorry guys, but there is no test that can accurately test for HPV....argue with the CDC if you don't believe me.

"The HPV tests on the market are only used to help screen for cervical cancer. There is no general test for men or women to check one’s overall “HPV status,” nor is there an HPV test to find HPV on the genitals or in the mouth or throat. But HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now"

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm#test

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• luckily, it does go away for some. But, if people smoke, drink & arent good to their bodies...it will certainly stay in your system. But, the healthier you are, the more likely it is for it to go away.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• samurai, that actually is not true. I did not quit smoking until less than 1 year ago, I NEVER work out and just started eatting healthy. I never drank anyway but I'm fine now!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010