If you have more than one child, do you honestly love them the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I love them in different ways. I know it sounds cliche, I always thought it did, but...it's true. Just like I love my kids in different ways than I love my husband, or my mother. But it's not really quantifiable. I can tell you without a doubt that I love each of my kids more than life itself, but not exactly how much. And because it is different, there are definitely times when I like or appreciate one more than the other...but it goes back and forth and evens out, and through it all I love both of them as much as I always have.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have 3 children. I think I love them the same amount, but I love different things about each of them. I feel closer to different ones at different times, and more aggravated at different ones at different times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I am pregnant with my second and I am completely terrified that I will love my DD more then the new baby. I'll let you know in 7 months :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have 4, soon to be 5, kids and I love them the same amount but for different reasons. I love my oldest son because he is so funny and easy to please; I love my middle son because he's so easygoing, laid back and sincere; I love my daughter because she is so full of life and excitement; and I love my current youngest because he's always in a good mood and such a snuggle bug!!
    So - no, I don't love them in the same way, but I love them all the same amount.

Answer by missanc at 10:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I had the same worries when I was preagnant w/ our 2nd., and can tell you not to worry :)

I love them JUST the same!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 11:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Yep! Pretty much exactly what the first poster said... the same amount (unfathomable, unquantifiable amount, of course), but you feel it in different ways at different moments.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• W/o a doubt. I have 3 boys, every 1 of them says that HE's my favorite. My oldest is mine from a previous marriage, & special because he was the 1st, we spent so much time alone just the 2 of us, I always felt that he was MINE alone, & needed me because he had only me & did I mention that he picked my husband of nearly 22 yrs??

My middle son is special because I was told I couldn't have anymore children & 3 mo. after my husband & I married, I was pregnant with him, he was the child that tied us together & made us a family, & because he had some challenges when he was younger that made me feel very protective of him.

The youngest, well of course he's the baby, the last for me to hold, & raise, the 1 we all want to protect & watch out for, & it's funny to me & very endearing, that at 18 he's very protective of me.

They're all handsome, charming, intelligent young men & I can't imagine loving 1 less than the others.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My love for them is equal our relationships are different, they are all different individuals with different personality traits.

Answer by older at 11:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I am due in September with my second and I really fear about not giving my new baby the same amount of attention my oldest got. I don't want to forget about my toddler, though.

I had a long talk with my mom and she said it just happens. You love different things about each child, but every one is just as precious as the next. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 11:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I felt the same way with pregnancy #2.My first daughter was already 5 when we tried for another and I worried that I would love the first more or better because she had been the center of my universe until then.Well, its a pretty big universe and it holds all the love I have for both my girls equally.The moment your 2nd or 3rd or even more is here you'll feel that same surge of love,you'll see.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 11:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2010