Can I give my 10 month old who will be 11 months on the 18,regular milk? if so how many ounces?

or do I have to wait til 12 months?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 10:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• wait til she is one. babies tummies are not eveloped enough to break down the enzemes in milk like an adult.if you intro it too soon she can develope an intolerance and then its a battle to overcome that later. just hang in a couple more months mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i gave my dd milk at about 10 months, but not just milk. she still got mostly formula. i just gradually replaced it. give him a few ounces and wait a day and see how he does. some babies can handle it earlier than others.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• remember ther are several reasons they recommned not starting milk until 1 year of age. lactose intolerance is one and lack of nutrition being another. IF your child is eating well with solid foods and formula and is still hungry if could be added. the problem at that age is that they may not get all their nutritional requirements and be too full. some dr even recommend starting with 2% milk if there are weight issues.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 10:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I started gradually switching over at 10 months, first I would add one ounce of whole milk to his formula wait a few days and add 2 ounces and so on until he was on nothing but whole milk by 11 1/2 months.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Personally I would wait until a year. Even then if your little one is not handling milk well it is a good idea to switch gradually mixing milk with formula gradually until you have a full cup/bottle of milk.

My son gave up his bottle completely at 10 months and only wanted a sippy, but he stayed on formula until 12 months then we tried gradually giving him whole milk in with his soy formula, but it gave him stomach aches and made him vomit. So we gradually moved him to 2% and he did fine now he's 3 and drinks skim or 1%.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Alrite ladies,Ive decided to wait I was kinda more on the dont give it this soon too.. but my moms friend keeps bringing it up,and I thought Id ask to see if I really should start right now..but anyways thanx for not bashing me.All the answers were great =]]
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010