What are some good finger foods to get a 9 month old started on?

Any suggestions other than Gerber puffs and yogurt melts? Things that dissolve easily and aren't a choking hazard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well it all depends on how he chews, is he mashing food with his jaw? if not then stick with the couple of things. something that worked for my son was mac and cheese, there is a brand called michelena's and its frozen wheels and cheese. I started cutting them in half, and then went from there. marshmellows are a good treat. But really I wouldnt worry too much if you just do the puffs and melts, they get most of the nutricion from there milk still, until one. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I was going to suggest the puffs...but the graduates has lots of good stuff they have turkey and chicken sticks that looks like Vienna weenies that my son always liked at that age, also they have soft carrot sticks and apple dices that are a little messier but still really good finger foods. Also they aren't as healthy but cheese puffs are good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• bananas - cut into smaller pieces for easy crab. mango , cooked carrots, soft pears, soft peaches, plums, grapes- cut into 4ths - if they are teething the straining teethers with frozen fruit are great.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Bananas or any soft ripe fruit, avacado, cooked chicken pieces, peices of soft cheese, cooked pasta, bread pieces. At that age my son ate what i ate. He refused baby food after 7 months. He did still like the gerber wagon wheels, little crunchies, and yogurt melts, but hated the puffs..lol...
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You never need those puffs. Any small fruit or veggie a baby cam mash with heir gums is fine. Especially if the baby has a good pincer grip don't make pieces too small. Mangoes, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, squash, sweet potato, avocado, banana, pear, peach, beans, string beans, carrots... really the sky is the limit. My baby has had ever fruit or veggie imaginable including kiwi, peas, spinach and asparagus. She has no teeth.

Gagging and coughing may happen...that is not choking. Choking is lack of air because the windpipe is blocked. You can't gag or cough if you are choking. Gagging is how babies move food away from the windpipe. Their gagging trigger is farther forward than an adults. Sometimes it may trigger a bit of vomit. Babies aren't bothered by this, they resume eating without noticing it.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• he should have started solids sooner! You can give him noodles, mashed potatoes, small bits of meat, and bananas, ans anything else! Use common sense! Not trying to be rude, but that seems too easy!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• solids sooner? My DD started purees and 6 months and finger foods at nine... Any way, she started with ritz crackers and avocado bits. Plus all the other things mentioned above.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• e should have started solids sooner! You can give him noodles, mashed potatoes, small bits of meat, and bananas, ans anything else! Use common sense! Not trying to be rude, but that seems too easy!"

Well, you ARE being rude, whether or not you're trying to be. He started solids at six months, I was just asking for some other ideas! I have plenty of common sense, THANK YOU!
    Anonymous