Is this strange?

My baby boy just turned a year old last month. He's always love his binkies, but only for naps or when he's hurt or things like that. He's not the type that walks around with one in his mouth all day long. For the last month or so, it seems he'd rather have an empty bottle to suck on. I try to take it and give him the pacifier, but he throws a fit. The only way he will settle down for a nap is if he has an empty bottle to suck on, and he would walk around all day with one in his hand if I let him. I know bottles and pacifiers can be bad for the teeth, but I don't think that's a concern for a little while longer. What do you ladies think about this?

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 11:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would let him have it. There is no liquid in it to hurt his teeth. He just turned one and most if not all kids have a non-nutritive sucking desire to at least 18 months. You really don't have to worry about his teeth until his permanent ones are coming in anyway. Let him have his comfort. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• bad for the teeth and for speech! I wouldnt!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• so braden, you dont think your childrens dental hygeine is important for baby teeth? Health is health no matter what! Yuck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Actually, I have seen MANY kids that sucked a pacifier full time until schoolage. There teeth are fine. I didn't suck one and stopped getting a bottle at one. My son stopped as well. our teeth are crooked and we needed braces. There is no liquid in the bottle. And even the AAPD say that it causes no real harm to suck on something until age three or even older.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Yeah the bottles are empty, it would be different if I was filling them with juice or milk or something, but that's not the case. He only has his bottom 2 teeth so far anyway. Like i said I don't really think it's going to harm his teeth anymore than a pacifier would, I just wondered if I was doing the right thing by letting him continue to do it.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 2:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2010