Does your child have any physical or mental health problems?

If so, at what age did they arise?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 2 1/2 yo daughter was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia last March. The elictrical impulses in her heart will sometimes take a shortcut on an extra nerve she has in her heart and it will race much faster than it is supposed to. Hers will get twords 300, when a helthy rate for her size/age is around 90-120. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be life changing, and is SUPPOSED to be easily controlled by medications, and she is SUPPOSED to come out of an attack on ehr own for the most part, but it isnt the case. She has to be shocked (like those paddles you see on ER) because the IV medications don't work to convert her heart to a normal rythm. And that means watching her in the ICU for a full 24 hours and then a few days in regular Peds also. But when she isn't having an attack, she can run around and be a mnormal healthy girl. I just have to be looking out for an attack at any moment.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My daughter has had both physical and mental health issues since birth. She was born prematurely to a drug adddict mom. Some of her issues are from the drugs and some from being born so small. She was diagnosed ADD at 8 but we are watching for other things too since her birthmother has many other diagnosis and some are genetic.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Kiwi was born w/ WPW, which is similar to what AK aries talked about w/her kid. Luckily, hers was controlled for the most part w/Atenolol, the medicine adults take for blood pressure. She only had problems when she'd have a growth spurt and out grown the dosage. We opted to have the catheter ablation procedure done shortly after she turned 5. They pretty much put tubey things in the arteries in both her legs and her neck and lasered the extra tissue off. If it doesn't come back by February 2011, she will be considered "cured" and no longer have a problem. Kiwi never brought herself out of it, and none of the things that we were told to try at home worked either. It always ended in the ER w/adenosine in an IV. I always did, and still do, check her heart rate w/a stethoscope several times a day to make sure it's not back.
    And she also was a normal active, happy kid. If you didn't know about the WPW, you wouldn't know she had it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son was diagnosed with a bilateral hearing loss in both ears at age 13. He was failing in school and just having such a hard time. I asked for the testing to be done for learning disabilities in school, and they called and asked if it was okay for the school audiologist to do a hearing test too. Of course I said yes. The day before we got the results I saw my son staring at my lips. He was reading my lips! I asked if he knew he was doing that and he said yes, I've always done it. (????!!!!???) Wow. He has bilateral hearing aids, but refuses to wear them because, his words "I've always been this way". He kind of has a point. He got through learning to speak clearly and his first 8 years of school before we discovered the problem. He also has a weird kidney thing that acts up if he gets strep throat. Apparently the hearing and kidney systems develop at the same time in utero...so it makes sense for him.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Yes, and we knew by the time he was 2 months old that something was wrong. He has too many individual diagnoses to list here and is technically still undiagnosed, but his neurologist believes that he has some type of mitochondrial myopathy that is the underlying cause of his many medical issues, including several internal birth defects. Recent mitochondrial genetic testing showed a mutation and we go back in 2 weeks to discuss what comes next.
    Anonymous

• My oldest has physical delays. However, unlike most of the posters here, my daughter developed normally until 18 months. She then began what we call a backslide. She couldn't run, jump, climb stairs, etc. She went from almost potty trained to nothing. We tried for years to get answers and didn't get any until she was 4 years old. She has a blood disorder (MTHFR) that cuases her to overclot. At 18 months old she got the stomach flu severely. She was misdiagnosed by the ER doctor as having an ear infection and sent home. She was at most 2 hours from a coma because of dehydration since she couldn't keep anything down. Her pediatrician admitted her and saved her life. Her specialist now believes she formed a blood clot and had a mini stroke causing her to have cerebral palsy as anytime you have a CVR before the age of 3 it is considered CP.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010