how do you deal with anxiety in children?

my 6 year old has issues with anxiety. she get herself into a frazzle about so many little things. she is a perfectionist and is very hard on herself if she thinks she doesn't immediatelt know the answer or know how to do something. she is getting better but the only way i know to get her out of it is to make her run laps or do jumping jacks. she almost hyperventalated once before because of this. her teacher is great about rewarding her for getting wrong answers so she will move forward and learn. i would love so others advise. i'm afraid as she moves forward in grades it will become more of a problem

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter struggles witn moments of anxiety too. She is 9 now, but we have been fighting it for about 3 years now....Having a GREAT teacher helps soooo much! In our schools, the teacher they have this year determines which classroom they get into next year, so open communication and proper placement is a big, big help.
    Patience and understanding are what she needs most..... I think making her run laps or do jumping jacks will only make things worse, because she is being disciplined for getting upset and she can't help it. I think it might make her feel like she can't do ANYTHING right and will make the cycle continue.
    My daughter does the worst with anxiety at the beginning of each school year, despite having a TON and gets better as the year progresses. I guess we will ahve to wait and see what September will bring for us. I am really hoping that she is finally "over" it, but I am nowhere close to confident!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• she loves to run and do physical activities so it is not a punishment
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• There you have it! I have a friend whose daughter has always been a perfectionist. And she keeps striving for the best. She too gets frazzled if she doesn't achieve what she feels is a good grade. This is how she has been since elementary school and beyond. She is considered really smart. All her mom can do is tell her to ease up on herself and not make herself sick trying so hard. Keep reassuring your daughter.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son is 4. He also has an anxiety issue. It's hard and we are just learning how to deal with some of it. Firstly we are changing his diet. Many foods can add to anxiety. We are also looking in to homeopathic alternatives to medication, because we don't want him on chemical or hormonal meds this young (or ever really), When the attacks happen the thing we do is sit with him and try to help him calm down. It's a slow process, but we are seeing some improvements.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2010