How can you be frugal or shop cheap when you buy Organic?? I am going broke....

I want to feed our son Organic only and I do what I can to buy me and my husband Organic but its SO expensive.. There are maybe 2% of the coupons in the paper or in the stores or on line for Organic that there is for regular or crap junk foods - How can I feed my family healthy when it costs so much??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• The problem isn’t where the food comes from, but how it’s grown or processed before it reaches American soil.

“The centuries-old tradition of using human excreta on farmland is widespread in East Asia, especially in China and Vietnam,”

Doyle said. “And unsanitary polluted water is used in production and processing. The result of these practices is contamination by harmful microbes such as Salmonella.”

Imported food also comes from Asian countries where growers are allowed to use pesticides banned by the U.S.

“They’re not only using these pesticides, they’re using them in excessive levels,” Doyle said. “This leads to residue contamination in foods.”

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• stop buying organic. it sucks but organic is just too expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I agree with anon 11:22. If you cant afford it, dont buy it.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My store marks down organic just like they mark down everything else. I buy it marked down and stay within my budget. They usually do mark downs early in the a.m. so shop early.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• To save money find out which foods are most important to get organic and which aren't. For example, bananas and avocados are okay nonorganic, but potatoes and strawberries need to be organic, as well as milk, one of the most contaminated foods.

Also, eat unprocessed foods whenever possible, a lot of beans and legumes, rice, potatoes, organic pasta I can get for 1.50 a lb. We eat very little meat, lots of salad, veggies.

foods that you need to eat organic

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Dirty-Dozen-Foods

foods that don't need to be organic

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Save-on-Sustainable-Gallery-44032808

Good luck and to your health!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• The most important foods to buy organic are dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, etc), eggs, meats, and certain fruits/veggies. The most important fruits/veggies to buy organic are:

spinach
    apples
    potatoes
    cherries
    celery
    grapes
    bell peppers
    nectarines
    strawberries
    raspberries
    peaches
    pears

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Also, be careful of the origin of your foods. Here is some information I have found on foods that are imported:

Every country has different organic standards, so U.S. standards might not apply to everything you purchase. Some of the foods imported from Mexico in years past have been found to have contaminants that have been outlawed in this country. There have also been reports of human feces and other issues of concern in Mexican growing fields. Because of this, it would be best to limit your purchases to those countries with whose organic policies you are familiar, such as the United States or Canada. Generally, kiwi imported from Australia and New Zealand is safe. There are other countries as well, so do your research thoroughly before buying organic products not USDA certified.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• OP: Thank you so much... That is VERY Helpful.!! I appreciate all the information you just gave me.
    Anonymous

• buy from local farmers markets, but buy regular in the store! It is a waste of money!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i think 'organic' to an extent, is a bit of a misleading term. Organic food still have pesticides used on them they are just not chemical or are considered as 'green'. Organic milk is form cows feed organic foods which has very little effec ton the cows milk. Hormone free would be more effective and not as expensive. If you wash you fruits and veggies it really doesn't matter. Even the organic ones need washed!
    Anonymous