im dialated to a 1 can i go swimming in a pool

i have heard different yes and no reasons i know not to go go to lake or a pound

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Are you effaced at all? I wouldn't think it would be a problem.
    My sister went in the pool 2 days before her due date and went into labor the next day, but being in the pool didn't hurt her - her OB actually recommended it.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Yes you can...I specifically asked my doc when i was pregnant. I swam until the day i was induced at 39 weeks. I started dialation at 36 weeks. She said The reason some people say not to is cause of a fear of water entering that vagina going up the cervix and causeing an infection. It has been proven that water does not enter the vagina unless it is forced in by you jumping into the water or something entering the vagina while its underwater. I was swimminng like i said the day before i was induced. When i went in to be induced i was at a 3. I say its safe cause i was told it was and i enjoyed swimming and didnt get an infection. If your worried you can always call your doc :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Ask your doctor but from what i understand as long as your water hasn't broke it is fine.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I believe that you can as long as your water doesnt break because once your water breaks then you are at risk of getting bacteria up there....also make sure the water isnt too warm because that can cause labor and complications....another thing make sure no one is kicking at your stomach or making too many sudden movements towards you...I was 5-7 months pregnant during last summer and when I would go swimming everyone would be jumping in the pool and causing waves and then I would have contractions...so one time it was just me and my husband that went swimming and after we got out I wasnt having them...have a great summer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Best answer I can give you is to ask your doctor because each doctor will have their own opinion on this.

Although this is what I was told no water actual enters the vagina high enough to cause an issue, unless you are rough housing, doing hand stands, upside down splits, etc. My doctor even told me it was ok to take a warm bath while I was in labor to ease the pain I was having from back labor.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• yes you can,I was dialated almost 2 inches when I went to my last doctor check up,right before her birth date,and I went swimming the next 2 days after I had found out I was 2 inches,no problems for me,and I loved being in that water,looking like a whale lmbo!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 11:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Anon :33 I don't know I have wondered this myself. The only solution I could come up with is during water birth it is clean water but when swimming in a pool you have all of those chemicals and so many other people (if it is a public pool) in there.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• thank you ladies i was going to call my dr but hes not in today but after all ur answers im going to go have a good day
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Just make sure it is in a pool and not a lake. I live by lake erie and have been told by all my ob's not to swim in the lake once I am dialated because of the risk of the bacteria in the lake. A private pool or public with cholorine is ok, but the bacteria in the lake can cause an infection.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Anon :33 my best guess is since they are done in a birthing pool filled with clean water it's a different story then going into a pool with chemicals, other people, and who knows what else. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2010