Should I be worried about my 21 months old limited vocabullary?

My son will be 2 in September and he hardly says any words. He understands everything you say. He follows directions really well and I believe that he knows more then average but just does not use his words. Its is like he knows that I understand him without him speaking so I feel he thinks he does not have too! But should I really be worried? Everyone that knows him thinks he is super smart and that I have nothing to worry about but I can not help it. Others just tell me that boys are slower learners. But he learns really well and quickly but I just can not get him to talk!

Wonderland912

Asked by Wonderland912 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 11 months as of now so i dont have much personal experience with that. However i was just talking with my SIL and her son just turned 2. At his 2 year check up they asked if he could say atleast 50 words. She said she didnt think so. They sent him to s speach therapist since he couldnt. Turns out he said more then SIL thought he did and he was fine.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't be worried, but only because I have two boys and I have been through this. You need to be prepared. My oldest has a speech delay (almost 5). My other son just turned two and also has a very limited vocabulary. I enrolled Gabe in school when he turned 4 and the school gave him speech therapy services. It has helped a great deal. I plan to get my youngest tested when he's about to turn three so that he can get services as soon as possible as well. Try working with him some and getting him to say words, but a speech delay is workable, fixable, and not the end of the world. GL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son is 3 and a half. I have been there sister. I had two girls first and they wouldn't shut up the moment they learned there were words. lol. Not my son. It seemed like he wouldn't say anything. Now recently he has taken off and says a ton. I wouldn't worry about it unless there are other issues. Oh and I did the MCHAT for autism several times with him just to make sure but he always checked out fine. Just a mom worrying.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm a certified teacher.

No, you should NOT be worried. If he isn't talking at 3, then start to be a little concerned and if he isn't talking at 3.5 yr then worry. Boys develop language slower than girls (boys are NOT slower learners, they are just slower with language) as a general rule and every kid develops language at a different rate. It doesn't mean he'll be delayed by the time he starts school or anything like that. It simply means a) he isn't that interested in talking yet--boys are more interested in doing stuff than talking about it or b) you are talking to much for him (like answering for him if people ask him questions or speaking for him instead of giving him a chance).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm a certified teacher and I always think that if there are ANY concerns that it's better to be on the safe side and have an evaluation done by early intervention. If he has an eval and everything turns out typical, then your fears are laid to rest. If he has an eval and they find a speech delay, then you have an early jump on getting him started with speech therapy and he will catch up more quickly since he won't be that far behind! My son is 18 months, has at least 50 words (some of those being 2-3 word phrases) and i have a speech evaluation set up for him on the 24th - my oldest has autism so I keep a very close eye on these things and I figure an eval isn't going to hurt him!

Answer by missanc at 2:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My cousin's son just turned three and has the same problem. They diagnosed him as autistic. But my Other cousin's child who is 7 had that problem up until 3 years of age. They found out he had an inner ear problem and was slightly deaf. When he did start talking it was all garbled- simply because thats how he heard the words when we said them. After extensive speech therapy he talks as normal as any child his age.

Be willing to get a second opinion. The doctors told my cousin her child was autistic- it turned out to be an inner ear problem. Doctors dont necessarily know best. GL
    Anonymous

• Both my girls were late talkers. One kinda mumble the words I new wht she said but others did not and my other child sign language alot... I wouldn't worry but if you are go see someone...
    Anonymous