Do you feel that 'baby-talk' can cause speech problems?

I was told by my doctor when I had my DD not to baby talk to her, only to use full words. He said that research proves that baby-talking to your children especially between 0-2 years old can cause delayed speech, speech problems, learning disabilities and over all poor vocabulary.

How do you feel about this?

leslie_zoe2010

Asked by leslie_zoe2010 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• When they are infants no but at at certain point it needs to because I believe it will cause speach delays of some sort.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Ehhhh, I studied this a bit in my Early Childhood Education classes in college,

There is an actual thing called "motherese" or "parentese" I believe that is how they are spelled, or close.

It is basically baby talk, and is important in a babies development!

http://www.ed.uiuc.edu/courses/edpsy313/projects/2001_fall/parentese.html
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think using real, full words will help your kid use them as well. I never allowed anyone to use baby talk w/Kiwi and she was talking really early. She said her first word at around 4 months, and was doing 3-4 words at a time by 6 months. By the time she was a year, she was talking non-stop, using real words. Bottle instead of ba-ba. That kind of thing.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I like that Kiwis mom, people taking credit for their childs accomplishments. It couldnt just be that your child would have done that without your wonderful parenting?
    Anonymous

• Alright..... I agree with some of that. I don't believe it causes learning disabilities. :P

I talk to my little ones like normal, I love to make goofy sounds with my baby and that kind of makes up for the not doing the baby talk.

I believe when you talk in whole complete sentences you're helping your little one to learn to speak properly. They learn to speak by hearing and seeing. So it makes sense that if you use baby talk it'd cause some problems later on. Un teaching etc.

Anonymous

• Anon 12:05 - I don't see how she was taking credit for it, I do agree that her behavior with her child help to teach 'kiwi' how to do it. Therefor she probably does deserve a little pat on the back... Never once did she say "i'm the best mom ever and I taught my 6 month old to talk!"
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

Personally you sound a little jealous that my kid could speak before she was 2. Maybe you're a little insecure about your own parenting?
    I wasn't taking credit. I was pointing out that by talking to my child like she was a person and not a puppy that she was talking earlier than most.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• after 6 monthes yes!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I guess I will take credit too then. LOL I spoke to my son like an adult early on. He spoke properly from 7 months on. He spoke full sentences at one and whole paragraph/conversations by 18 months. He was saying things like Palaeontologists. My step-mom used to laugh at him for how well he enunciated.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• kiwismom, mine all spoke before two also! :)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2010