16-year old solo sailor...negligent parents?

I saw this on a thread where most condemned the parents of the missing girl and said they had "gotten what they deserved" for allowing her to do this.

What do you think, were they negligent or was it okay to let her follow her dream, since they had so many safeguards in place?

*********girl found safe ********************

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127746582

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think these parents were very aware of her ability to sail and the dream she wanted to fullfil, there is danger in everyday activities too, this does not make them negligent parents.

Answer by older at 12:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• She was trained. She was prepared. I think they are fine and shouldn't be considered negligent. I let my son do things most helicopter parents would freak over. What they don't realize is all the preparation that went into it ahead of time. Take for instance when I let my son stay home alone at age 9. We prepared, we studied phone numbers, scenarios, escape routes..etc. I had a binder filled with important information and numbers and procedures. We had a neighbor safety net in place. He had rules to follow and a routine to follow. So, I was quite confident letting him stay all day. This girl had phone, heater, clothes, beacons, radio contact...etc. So, same thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I agree w/the first two. She was prepared and trained in what to do. I doubt she would have been any more prepared in another year. Good for the parents in cutting the apron strings and letting their daughter follow her dreams.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Oh goodness, and when a football player breaks a leg the parents should be held responsible cause they signed the permission slip. Kids can't be kept in a bubble forever.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't say they are negligent really. But I don't agree with letting their 16 year old sail solo around the world.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Not something I would allow one of my kids to do solo but I am not her parent

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• OP here .
    I feel the same way,that they were not negligent, especially due to how well prepared she was in every way.Maybe it was because she was missing at that time, but on the other thread her parents faced almost universal condemnation. This girl will sure have some stories to tell her grandchildren...and not about how she got her belly button pierced when she was 16.
    Anonymous

• We can't shelter our children forever. She was trained for this and she seemed to have handled the siituation very well. She's fine, nothing bad happened to her and even if it had....we caan't shelter them. My children started playing football when they were 9 years old. There were injuries, one son had surgery on his ankle, but they enjoyed football and we let them play. Does it make us negligent because they got injured? Should we have sheltered them? Kids should be encouraged to follow their dreams and to do what they want. 16yo girls are having children....to me that's far worse than making a journey around the world alone in a sailboat.
    Anonymous

• ANON2:07, I didn't think about that...mine started football at 7. That is really hard to watch..especially if yours is like mine and the tiniest kid in the league. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I think all families are different and do different things. Obviously this family has a backround in sailing and its what they are accostumed to. I don't think they were being negligent. What may be scary to me because I don't know the first thing about sailing and neither do my children, is just like riding a bycycle to others. Would be have thought differently if it a was 16 year old riding a bike around the world? ( I don't think that can actually be done because of the oceans and all..but you know what I mean)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2010