Camping MOMs.. Need your input

I am a mother of three 8yrs, 3yrs and a 2yr old. I've never been tent camping before and I'm thinking bout planning a camping trip for the 4th of July weekend. NEED AS MUCH ADVICE.. Is it a good idea since the two little ones are still toddlers and if so what do you suggest.. Thanks!!

threenapuppy

Asked by threenapuppy at 12:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• an air mattress is nice to have, if your tent is big enough. BUG REPELANT!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Well its a fine idea as long as you have enough room. What is it that you're worried about?
    Anonymous

• I haven't purchased a tent yet BUT I have been online researching which one to get and it were in between the LL Bean family tent or the Eureka tent for 6 if you have some favorites please let me know..

Thank you! I think it's a great idea too! Well since I've never Camped in a tent before not sure what to expect I have this image in my head of making memories with the kids but need imput from moms who have done this and what to expect or tips..
    threenapuppy

Answer by threenapuppy at 12:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I've never went camping w/Kiwi before, but I went a lot as a kid.
    You need plenty of food (we always used a box and a cooler of ice for drinks), stuff that is nonperishable. Bug spray, sun screen. You will need TP if you're going to the woods where there are no porta potties or bathrooms and a bag to keep your dirty TP in, plus a trash bag. Plenty of matches, preferably water proof to start fires. Sleeping bags or just blankets and pillows. A sharp knife to cut the sticks for smores and whatever else you want to hold over the fire. Camping dishes (plastic or metal) or disposable dishes (plates, bowls, cups, silverware, cookware). A battery operated night light if any of your kids are afraid of the dark. Flashlights and extra batteries for night time BR trips. Easy on shoes (we used flip flops). Fishing license, poles, bait if you want to fish.
    It will be fun. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• don't forget the bug spray, camera, and all the stuff to make smores with! you and your children will have a blast! maybe even a net to catch bugs with.
    eva123

Answer by eva123 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• For the first time I would only camp out for a night or two to get a feel for it. You'll need to bring all the food you need for your family, bring extra clothes for everyone and a few extra pairs for the little ones. If you'll be camping near water, bring extra shoes and life jackets. Also bring face and hand wipes and plan on everyone getting dusty and dirty. If you have any long haired little girls, bring pony tail holders because roasted marshmallows always end up in hair! Don't forget to bring a small tarp to put under your tent when you set it up. If you don't the moisture from the earth will seep through the bottom of the tent and make you feel cold and damp. Another tarp to put over your whole camp site is also nice when it rains, but not necessary.

Anonymous

• It seems that no matter what, the one thing you'll always run out of is fire wood. On your way to the camp ground, scout out a place to buy more. My family of 5 have gone camping with up to 4 other families and we usually all share the same fire pit and still run out. It would also be smart to bring a small first aid kit, and a pair of tweezers in case of splinters.

Have fun!

Anonymous

• Do you already have gear? Are you familar with the place you intend to camp at (activities, shelters, baths, etc.)? Will there be electric & water available or will you be totally roughing it?

Aside from your basic gear (tent, sleeping bags, stove, lanterns, food, etc.), you will need a first aid kit, bug spray and lots of toys (hit the dollar store for some new surprises). You should have at least one extra full set of clothes per child beyond what you need for the weekend, plus lots of extra socks & a sweatshirt/jacket for chilly evenings (especially if you are near water). Kids love glow sticks (or glow jewlery) both for a nightlight & to play with.

Anonymous

• life jackets when we go as soon as we get out the tent the life jackets go on the lil ones.....you still keep a very close eye on them and its best to be safe and have them on all the time
    Anonymous

• I can tell you as someone who has the LL Bean - GET THE LL BEAN!!! It has a lifetime warranty so if it ever tears or anything they will hand you a brand new one no questions asked. We've already done it once. It's very easy for a new camper to tear the tent by staking it down too tight so it's worth the extra money knowing you'll never have to buy another one. Plus, it's a great tent. :)
    Anonymous