What do you think of the young kids doing dangerous, but incredible things? For example the 13 year old that just successfully climbed Mt. Everest or the 16 year old that was just found alive (thank God) while attempting a solo sail around the globe.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100611/ap_on_re_as/lost_sailor_found

http://www.vvdailypress.com/sections/article/gallery/?pic=4&id=19393

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 1:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that it's great that they want to do these things, but I don't think they should do them now, at their ages. I don't know about the 13 year old, but would assume their were adults with that person. That's a little different than sailing the world alone. That's very dangerous, and I wouldn't allow my 16 year old to do it.

MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have mixed feelings. Fear obviously, Awe, Inspiration, and even Jealousy that these kids have done more in their 16/13 yrs (respectively) than I have in my 24

Anonymous

• I think it is really cool in a way but terribly scary.

I kind of wonder who is paying for the "rescue" effort since the global sail didn't work out. And am struggling with the emotions as how a parent should balance the needs to protect verses supporting your child in their mission to greatness.

[I could just see how these conversations would have went with my parents. "I would like to climb Mt. Everest. " "That's nice honey, now move out of the way of the TV." My parent's weren't the supporting greatness type. LOL!]
    Anonymous

• I think it is great that young people want to leave a mark, and it is also great that parents support them. There is danger in everyday life too, and we are never prepared for that.

Answer by older at 1:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Um...it's scary, but it's cool that kids are so driven for accomplishments.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2010