Was I right to leave?

We've been together 7 years, married 5. I gave up friends/family to ease his paranoia. He finally decided to trust me after I told him I wanted to leave. For four years he pushed and guilted me into sex almost every night, accusing me of ****ing every other man I knew b/c I didn't want to sleep with him(I've never cheated on him). He wouldn't let me sleep till he got it. In my eyes he only cared about video games and sex. When he was unemployed he didn't even devote enough time to school to make passing grades. The house was always a disaster, and he'd blow money on things we couldn't afford/didn't need. I was the only one taking care of our daughter, and I would constantly try to talk to him about what I needed from him for us to work. He'd usually find some way to blame me or invalidate my feelings. I didn't trust him to keep promises.
I left him on Sunday. He thinks we'll get back together, but I've never been so at peace.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• You are not wrong in this. he sounds very controlling and that is not a good situation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Good for you! You'll find someone who will treat you good.

Good luck
    Anonymous

• All that matters is if you think you did the right thing, which is sounds like you do.
    Congrats on having the courage to do so. I've seen many women in your situation and I've seen how hard it can be do leave.
    I'm glad you're finally happy and at peace.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• You did the right thing, let him think what he wants, I think you're better off without him and I applaud you for leaving!
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:37 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• goodYes and should have done it sooner but better late than never.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I am happy to hear you feel at peace now!!!!!!!!!!

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Sometimes men think they can do whatever they want until you give them a wake up call and leave their asses! Good for you!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Congratulations! From your description, it sounds like you escaped a very controlling relationship before it got worse! Don't sweat whether or not you made the right decision, you did. Pat yourself on the back for realizing YOU and your child both deserve more!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Sounds like you did the right thing, I wish you luck in your future without him. And don't let him guilt you into coming back, it will be much better for you and your daughter without him.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• if you believe it is right for you then it is.. only you can decide what you need and can deal with.
    TaiM

Answer by TaiM at 2:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2010