what keeps you reading a book?

I am writing a book, and I was just wondering what is it that keeps you reading? Is it the relationships? Connecting with characters? The plot?

What have u not liked about a book?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Entertainment

• For me, the main character has to be someone I'd be friends with. I have to actually like them, what they do, what they say. And it has to grab my attention within the first few paragraphs or I can't continue.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• PLOT and it has to be a mystery
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Its good writing for me. I read the first chapter of a book and if the writing is bad then I won't finish reading it. You can have the best plot and the best characters but I still won't read a badly written book. I know it pretty obvious you should write good for a book but it seems like anything is getting published these days.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• If the author hasn't captured my interest in the first chapter I won't read any more. The title has to capture my interest and the subject matter has to be compelling. The characters have to be interesting and the story has to flow. I want to scream when authors take 15 pages to describe something. It's so unnecessary and a waste of my time. It has to be different. It drives me nuts when people write a book and it's the same as someone else's but the names and setting has changed. It's like no one heard of plagiarism. It can still fit a genre but have an original idea. If I start reading and think of another book then I won't finish it. Good luck on this. I wrote my first book a couple of years ago but I'm a non-fiction writer so that makes it easier imho.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• -Good writing with correct mechanics and a strong sense of voice. I am very easily turned on/off by a writer's style in the first chapter.
    -3D characters who think and act like real people; characters who make mistakes, suffer consequences, and reserve the right to act irresponsibly. Characters who don't fall in love quickly. Characters with distinct personalities and intense relationships.
    -Intriguing plot (although plot is less important to me than quality characters). I want to see real threats and real problems. I like to experience that battle of wanting things to get better for the characters while watching things get worse. I want a climax where everything hangs by a thread and could be ruined by a single word or deed.
    -If not completely original, an at least refreshing and different take on an old idea.

Basically the opposite of everything Stephanie Meyer and Christopher Paolini do.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:56 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• I started it.

It takes a lot for me to stop reading a book that I've started, even if I hate it with a passion. Mostly it's books that others have given me and have asked my opinion. I feel that I have to finish it to give my opinion.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 9:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2010

• Too much cussing and/or sex and I stop reading. It's so unnecessary and makes me think the author has no imagination.

But there has to be a good plot, not too slow, and the speech has to be realistic but not perfect.
    Anonymous