How common are false negatives?

Is it common to get a false negative if you take it in the afternoon? I took mine around 12pm after being up for a few hours and of course went to the bathroom a few times. And got a negative test. I'm really confused right now cuz I have all the signs that I'm pregnant. Missed period, sore breast, things tasting weird, always feeling tired. I have another test, but I almost just want to wait for the 1st of next month to take it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If it's early in the pregnancy, it's pretty common. You can try again tomorrow or the next day w/your first pee.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• try with you first morning urine!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I dunno when I was pregnant any pee of the day could tell me that. Generally a false negative occurs because you either took the test too early or your urine is dilluted.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• the test will tell you the % accuracy on the side of the box. False negatives are WAY more likely than false positives.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• If you want to wait till the first of the month, that being uhm 19 days are you even late on your period? If you aren't late, chances of getting an accurate test are much more slim. False negatives too are also more comon.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Well I could advise you better if I knew whether or not you were even actually late yet. If your period is not late yet wait until the second day of your expected period and test first thing in the morning. (this will give you the best chances of a correct result). If you are already late wait 7 days and retest first thing in the morning.

Or if you are like me and the doctor needed to know right away for various reasons go out buy the new First Response test (The 6 days before your missed period one) and test first thing in the morning no more than 5 days before the first expected day of your period. I can tell you this test is super sensitive because I got a positive result with a HCG level of 11.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm 2 days late as of today. And I drank like 3 cans of pepsi thinking that might have deluted it maybe.
    Anonymous

• Well, Pepsi isn't te best thing to drink if you think you might be pregnant, but give it a few days, and try it first thing in the morning. It can take a bit to show up.
    If you think you might be pregnant, and there's any chance you plan to keep it, treat your body as though you are already pregnant (no smoking, alcohol, limit caffeine, etc).
    Again, give it a few days, and retest. Sometimes, there just isn't quite yet enough HCG to show a positive.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010