something CUDDLY, able to be picked up/played with??

We want to surprise our son for his 6th birthday in October (so we have many months for research!) with a pet. I don't know much about bunnies, ferrets, guinea pigs, gerbils, etc etc etc. It cannot be something that will bite or be anti social. Any suggestions?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Pets

• Oh! And they can live anywhere from 15-22yrs. And as well, with any critter that requires bedding, it is soooo much easier to keep the whole space around the cage clean if you can find a fishtank. With a Chinchilla, I'd look for something at least 35 gallons, and make sure they have ramps to climb, a home to chew on, and different levels to explore! You can find these things on craigslist, or freecycle, most of the time, or post an ad on either.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• A small breed puppy. Just make sure what ever mix it is isn't going to grow too big. Our first dog, the people who gave her to us lied about her breed and once we took her to the vet and he told us, we had already named her and everything and now she's nearly 50 pounds. We recently got Kiwi another puppy, part chihuahua part something else (not sure, vet couldn't even tell) but my cousin gave her to us and both the mom and dad are small. Kiwi packs Poofy all over.
    I had rabbits and even bunnies as a kid and I couldn't hold or cuddle w/them, they bit. I don't know if all do this, but Lucy and Lucy the Second did. I've heard hampsters are a good small pet, especially if you can get the rolling ball for them to play in.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• IMO,,,, I do not think a 6 year old is old enough to have and take care of a pet them self. But that is just me.

Answer by louise2 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• How about a Kitten? Any of those other animals that you listed tend to not last very long and can bite. A rabbit requires a lot of care and should be kept outside in a large hutch during the warm months and in a protected area in colder months. The hutch needs to be cleaned often & it's pretty gross. Ferrets, guinea pigs, gerbils are nocturnal and will be most active at night and the cages get smelly fast. I had them all even a rat which was actually the cleanest pet I had. But they only last 5 years max. So a kitten would probably be the best.
    Anonymous

• he would not be by himself at all.... not a responsibility project. I will have him help w/ water and food but I wouldn't expect or even allow him to clean/sanitize a cage. As a family I don't think we're ready for a doggy quite yet.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i know it sounds gross but rats do make good pets. as long as you play with them and hold them regularly they will love it. a hedge hog makes a good pet but they are not too cuddly. they are noctornal but if you play with them during the day their schedule changes.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I, personally, want a chinchilla. They require a little more than a hampster or mouse, but they're more social. If you can find a young one, or one that has been handled a lot, you can have a really good pal. That, and how many of his friends are even gonna know what a chinchilla is? LOL.

I would advise, if you get a small mammal, and it requires roughage (hay/grass, etc.) go to your local feed store, and buy a small square bale of alfalfa. Depending on your location, you can get a bale for anywhere between $4-7. If you're in a big city, and feed stores are too far out for you, a place like Orscheln's or Tractor Supply Company will sell a bag of alfalfa cubes. These bigger bags/ bigger bales WILL take up more space, but they will save you a TON of money in the long run.

Make sure that the roughage is available at all times. This will keep the critter from gorging or overeating.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• A kitten, they are cuddly, sweet, easy to train. We have one that has a great people personality and my daughter lays on her and the cat just lays there and purrs away,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We have two guinea pigs, and they are nice lap pets for the kids- they will sit and cuddle and don't bite. However, make sure that you are ready for the commitment because much as my kids love Linney and Frenzy the piggies, it's a good thing that mom also loves them because mom is the one who cleans the cage, feeds the food, fills the water, and fulfills the free play and cuddle requirement when the kids are too busy.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'm all for cats. They are great IMO! But maybe you ought to do your research and decide what it is that you would allow in your house, and then let him choose from there.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2010