Can anyone in Pennsylvania, help me out with a curiosity question about diaper disposal?

It has always been my understanding that it is the law that you empty solid waste from your disposable diapers into the toilet...not throwing the whole thing into the trash. I'm not asking or starting a debate about if you DO or Don't, just wondering if anyone has any info from PA as I was just told that is NOT the code there, that they can go straight into the trash poop and all...?? If this is not the case could you provide me with some links to code or laws?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was born raised, and living here again. I have never heard this. At public places, like doctors, hospitals, offices, you have to dispose of them yourself or they give you waste bags for diapers. But we have to use a trash company and I have never heard this. How would you dispose of the poop when it's all soaked up in or ground into the diaper? I have lived in Harrisburg, my hubby's from Pittsburgh and I spent much time in Erie and never heard this. And lived in other states and never heard this there either.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I dont think it is a code or "law" that you have to do this. I think it's more of a curtosy (sp) thing. But I agree with pp, how do you get it out if it's liquidy or stuck in the diaper (not solid at all). I put ours in a plastic shopping bag and off it goes. Now if it's a solid one, then I'll dump it in the toilet.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 2:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I've been born, raised and live here today... I'm with her, I've never heard this... Sorry, I guess that's not what you wanted... But it's news to me if there are actually laws about this stuff.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• It should say right on the package of disposable diapers (likely in fine print) that solid waste should be disposed of into the toilet. As a general rule if the poop is solid or semi solid you should put in in the toilet, even if you have to scrape it off.

Call your local department of public health or waste management in your city or state and ask them about human feces in the trash.

Technically, disposable diapers shouldn't even be on the shelves for the simple reason that all that human waste goes untreated in the landfil and can get into ground water. It also can not even compost naturally because it is encased in plastic.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010