what works better-a potty chair or a seat that attaches to toilet. i am trying to potty train my 2 year old and he thinks his potty chair is a toy?

2boysmommi

Asked by 2boysmommi at 2:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i tried the potty chair, but found it easier to just have them use the big potty. We taught him to pee standing up from the start so we only use the seat that goes on the big potty when he has to go #2.

Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• my son thought his potty chair was a toy, it was a 3 in 1 truck. It was a gift and had terrible reviews so I took my son out to look at others. He picked out the fsher price froggy potty and he doesnt think of it at a toy at all. He doesnt like sitting on potty rings so this one works for us. I did buy a travel potty ring for outings. We were successful with it one time.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My son did the same thing. He did better with the attachments on the real toilet. And once he gets the whole thing down, standing there, etc. I would put him in real underwear or just naked. It shouldn't take long after that. Plus if daddy or a man is around, take him in there to pee every time they pee. My hubby was gone for 4 months and when he got back my son had it down in a matter of days.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• We used a potty chair for Kiwi, the cheap one from Walmart that cost somewhere like $7 or so. It had a top that pulled right off and snapped on the toilet seat and the bottom flipped over to turn into a stool. At first, she didn't use the toilet, she'd just use the potty chair because she was afraid that she'd fall into the toilet even through the seat and accidentally flush her self down on the way. Very imaginative little girl!
    After a couple weeks, she started using the snap on thing though. They both work. You just have to remember to take the cover off or else you'll sit on it and get your butt stuck. Trust me on this one.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• It really depends on the child. One of my kids did better on the real toilet, two did better with the potty (they were both terrified of the flush!) We had one of the convertible potties that can be used as a full potty or as a seat on the toilet plus a stepstool so it worked both ways.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I like the attachment cuz the kiddy potty gets nasty. I ended up throwing it away after my oldest son dumped his poop in the toilet like he saw me doing so many times and it got everywhere because he missed. I know gross TMI, but that's why I vote for the attachment.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• im a strong believer in just having your child use the regular toilet. i have actually also heard that sometimes when ya use the "fake toilets" or kiddy potty's that you end up having to train your child twice, because they dont want to go on a regular one..plus when youre out in public, all there are are regular seats...i personaly find the kid ones a waste of money..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I used the seat that goes on the toilet. The other is kind of disgusting. My kids only used the potty seat a handful of times and then went right to the regular toilet.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2010