JUST CURIOUS, I am not asking if I should do this!

Recently found out about the use of human diploid cells (fetal tissue) in the production of certain brands of certain vaccines.
Let's say that you didn't want the chicken pox vaccine for your kids, but also didn't want to deliberately get them the chicken pox from someone else. Like you would wait, and if they didn't get it naturally, you would get it when they were older and the risks of danger went up. If you don't like the fact that diploid cells are used in the initial production of the components of the vaccine, would you reconsider getting them the chicken pox on purpose so that they would never have to get the vaccine?
I am just curious what you would think about it. I am not against vaccinating, but also don't mind when people are.

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I get my kids vaccinated.. it was a hard decision, but best for them i decided.. The fetal tissue doesnt bother me. Its not like they are raising them in farms and slaughtering them like minks to get their tissue....

My friends cousin is 8 and in ICU because she got chicken pox. Dont wait.
    Anonymous

• When my daughter was in 5th grade, she got the chicken pox, she didn't have the vaccine (back when they gave you the choice). She got up one morning and she was stumbling, dizzy, couldn't talk, couldn't write, it was awful. Her brain stem was swollen and it is a common side effect from the chicken pox. (I'd never heard of it before but I guess it is common). After watching her fight with that for a month, we were never told she could die from it and it scared me to death when I found out later. Now I highly recommend the vaccination, even though they can still get it but a much lighter case. It is a dangerous illness.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I would NEVER give my child any disease on purpose. Chicken pox isn't as innocent as people think, especially the older a person gets. My son is completely vaccinated because I decided to due what I can to protect him and those we come into contact with from diseases that have been eradicated for decades. My son has had the chicken pox vaccince and the booster and he has yet to get chicken pox. Our decisions are not always just about us but about everyone we come into contact with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My husband and siblings were vaccinated but when one of their cousins got the chicken pox, they called at the kids over so they could get cp over with. They got a mild case and all missed school at the same time which made it easier.
    Anonymous