If an employee is having an affair with a coworker. Should both get fired?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• As usual the defense of unethical, unprofessional and amoral behavior is no surprise. Now I'm wondering how many members on here have broken up marriages. Yes, they should both be fired. I have not worked at one job where that was not policy. I can't believe someone actually posted why to this question. The answer is adultry is disgusting, can make huge problems for the job place itself especially if the jilted spouse(s) show up one day, the company looks bad, how many more reasons do you need? It's not wonder this country is in the mess it's in.
    Anonymous

• HELL YES !
    Anonymous

• No, not if neither of them are in a position of power over the other. Unless it's specifically stated that that will happen in the handbook.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I don't see what their personal lives have to do with their work. If they are staying appropriate in the work place and doing their job, then why should they be fired? Because they're cheaters? I'm sorry but that's not a good reason.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• No, why? Unless it is harming their work.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• My boss was having an affair with an employee and now it's a big mess. He's a horndog anyway. I think they one who is in the higher position should be fired.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the business I guess. If it's McDonalds or a bar No. If it's a 6 figure job then yes.
    Anonymous

• Depends if it is part of the employment contract stating specifically you can't date anyone you work with.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Only if their contracts states that you cannot date co workers. Other than that, why on Earth would two people be fired for having an affair? That's NOT a legitimate reason.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i think it should depend on the company policy. if they know it's wrong and still do it, then yes.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 11, 2010