Food Stamps for Organics

I'm thinking about applying for food stamps, which we could qualify for, in order for me to feed my family a healthier, local and organic diet, instead of staying off of PA and feeding my family a less than desirable diet. On one hand, I would be taking advantage of a service that others need more than we do, but on the other hand I would be supporting our local co-ops and farmers that I can't currently afford, and giving my family an optimal diet. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Go for it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I would say go for it! Why not? You want your kids to eat better get FS. That's one big reason I'm on FS!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• i say go for it too. if it's how you want to feed your family you have that right as long as you qualify.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Not sure how to respond to this. It makes me angry that my tax dollars are going to pay for you to buy "organic" food because you can't afford it. Here you can use your food stamps at stores, the same place everyone else gets their food. I can't afford to buy my family the expensive food because I am paying my own way. How about getting another job so you can afford to buy your own organic food, or grow your own garden.
    Anonymous

• thats what we do...we eat nothing but organic in this house
    Anonymous

• As long as you qualify, then why not.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Eating healthy keeps us healthy and cuts down on medical costs so I'm all for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• At least you wouldn't be buying 20 2 liters or pop and bags of junk food. That just irritates me when I see that money going for that crap. What I don't understand is, if WIC gives you "checks" that have the specific items you have to buy, can't food stamps do a similiar thing? But, if you qualify why not. At least you're not feeding them junk.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• (OP) @1st anon3:28 DH works 50 hours a week, six sometimes seven days a week. I also work and am going to school full time. My kids aren't school age yet and we can't afford day care so we juggle our schedules and never see each other. Trust me, if there were another way to make this happen I'd do it. Those are good suggestions though. I have a small garden, but have a hard time even find enough time to maintain it, let alone one large enough to actually make much difference in our grocery budget. Just curious, does it make you more upset that someone who qualifies for PA uses it to buy organic, or if they use it to stuff their kids full of crap? Those are my tax dollars hard at work, too, ya know.
    Anonymous

• If you're needy and qualify. Go for it! Nutrition is important.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 3:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2010