dh??

dh didnt have a very healthy childhood his parents were drinkers drank everyday he drinkes every weekend he never got to do anything with his parents they were only home to pass out only to wake up to do it again his grandma raised them, i feel that everytime i get close to him he pushes me away and he has told me he doesnt know how to be a good dad i have tried to be very supportive and trying to understand where hes coming from but him running off drinking and with his friends really makes me mad what would you do in this situation he really is a good guy but i feel he just doenst know how to be a family man what would you do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• he has always kept a job and is a hard worker and sometimes drinks more than just the weekends but he is very calm and nice when he drinks at home but when his friends come around its all over he takes off and has been gone for 2 days at the longest this has only happened once and he was at the bar where my mil works
    do you see it as an excuse or a problem
    Anonymous

• Id sit him down and tell him exactly how I feel about whats going on and the things he grew up experiencing and how they might be related.

Id encourage him to talk to me about the things deep within that he might not want to share be it because of macho man-ness or fear or guilt or whatnot.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• He may not know how to be a "good" father but at the very least he can look at his parents and recognize them as being "bad" parents with how the weren't around for him. He needs to figure out if that's what he wants his children to know him as.

It's one thing to not know HOW to do something. It's another thing to not even try.
    aithlynn

Answer by aithlynn at 4:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• his dad just passed away from cancer and his dad was really changing his life around when i met dh 5 1/2 yrs ago and told my dh he was sorry and if he could redo everything he would of been there more for him his sister and brother
    his mom is always triying to get him to come to the bar where she works to drink and too see her she drives me crazy and when he does this she tells me to leave him hes not good enough and she will tell him that im not good enough for him

its a HUGE mess :(
    op here
    Anonymous