Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you anonymously report fraud to the welfare office?

My brother gets his 2 kids every summer and winter break. Originally they live with their grandmother in another county. The grandma gets food stamps and medical card for them. She won't report the changes when they are here because she doesn't want the benefits cut for those 3 months they are gone. Not my business except I'M expected to provide the groceries while they're here because my brother is unemployed and lives with our mom and I DO get a link card. So they get mad that I don't want to 1. lie to the aid office myself because the stamps are for our household and 2. supply 2 households containing 12 people on $513/month with food. My mom gets $1260 in SSI and still has no money for food because she gets cigarettes instead. I have 6 people in my household and we do use our card on food and nothing else. But it's too hard to feed an extra household with 6 more people with what we get. I wish the other grandma would report

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
  • Continued: The changes so everything doesn't fall on me. Then my mom gets mad when we tell her we can't do it. I said it's not my fault they won't fix things. I'm about to report it myself to get them off me. If it was extra it wouldn't be such an issues. But they want us to COMPLETELY do ALL the supplying of groceries for both places.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • i would honestly talk to them first before reporting. that will get really ugly really fast for them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • Your situation makes it sound like you may be shooting yourself in the foot either way. If you turn them in, they're going to be wanting you to support all the grocieries for 12 months a year instead of just 3. There's also a slight chance that the people recieving the assistance are above the board. As screwed up as it is, I know a mom who lost her kids to child services and still recieved welfare to "maintain" her household for the children after she worked through the program she had to do to get them back.
    Why don't you just say no? Tell them flat out not to use you as a reference because you won't lie for anyone, and don't feed them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • I'm talking about reporting the other grandmother. She refuses to report that the kids are gone those 3 months because she doesn't want her food stamps cut for those 3 months. For the other 9 months of the year they are in another county with her. They are only here for those 3 months. My brother has talked to her about letting them claim them for the purpose of getting a link card for when they are here and she pretty much blew him off saying it's too much of a hassle to change it. And I have told them no, but I hate getting made to feel like shit for letting my niece who is 7 and nephew who is 4 do without. Not to mention my 11 year old sister. So I do tell them no, I want to report the other grandmother because you're actually mandated to report any changes like that so they can re-estimate how much you are/aren't entitled to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • It isn't your responsbility to feed all of them. If he can't afford to feed his kids then they shouldn't be staying with him, period. Put your foot down and tell them you're only going to support YOUR family not theirs.

    Answer by vnw1405 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • Just wondering how is reporting her going to solve your problem of feeding the kids. Unless you want to put them on your stamps for the time they are around you.

    Answer by mamaofficer at 4:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • If I reported her my mom and brother could claim them for the 3 months and get their own Link Card while they're here. Then I wouldn't have to be cornered or bothered about it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

  • A. your brother needs to get a job.
    B. your mom should help you out as much as she can with the food bill. As a daughter, I wouldn't "make" my mom pay a damn dime, but you can definitely ask that she help out as much as she can.

    It's nice that your bro wants to have the kids for the summer and winter breaks, but he obviously can't provide for their needs. He can't even afford FOOD! Grandma should keep the kids year-round, and your bro can have visitation.

    My advice is not to make any sort of reprt to welfare. You're shooting yourself in the foot.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Does anybody know?

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
This might sound silly....