Best formula for tummy trouble?

My baby is 6 wks old and we are on our 5th formula and he seems miserable with tummy aches. I have tried Mylicon and started Gripe Water this morning but it's making him spit up really bad, then he's starving an hour later. He has gas so bad that all he does is cry, he's never happy. The only time he sleeps is when I'm holding him. Looking for what others have tried and have had good results with. My doc says he should outgrow it around 3 months, I don't want him unhappy and in pain that long.

lmulverhill

Asked by lmulverhill at 4:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used Nutramigen w/ our son. Pretty pricey but worked great for him. Noticed a difference right away. Hang in there mommy.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Well, we use Gentlease but gripe water usually solves his gas issues. If your baby's case is pretty severe, I would talk to the ped about Nutramigen. I have heard great things about it. It's just too expensive for us. Just try Gentlease first.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I am not sure if it is still around but when my daughter was a newborn/infant..we had to put her on nursoy...she couldn't take the milk based formula's....sadly too..i had to put cereal in the bottle when she was just 4 weeks old..as per the doctor of course..but that believe it or not..was the only way she could hold anything down..i soooooo know what you are going through...i always kept her head elevated..no matter where i would put her down...and she wore a bib i think until she was about 18 months old..non-stop..i also used mylanta..hang in there mama!!!
    CecesMommy210

Answer by CecesMommy210 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• both of my kids had problems and we had to put them on soy talk to ur doc about it and ask her what she suggests good luck
    Mommmy_To_3

Answer by Mommmy_To_3 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Soy should be the formula of last choice. It is by far the worst for brain growth and there are other issues with soy. Brain growth is the most important task in the first year. Of course human milk is perfect, cows aren't too smart, soy beans aren't smart at all!

It would be best for your baby if you could relactate. Any problems you had in the beginning if you tried to nurse may not be a problem now. Reasons that you think you can't breastfeed my not be contraindications to breastfeeding. While you are relactating you could get milk from other mothers using the website milkshare. La Leche League Leaders help mothers relactate when their babies can't tollerate formula all the time. They will help by phone for free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• He's having problems because he is obviously not tolerating formula. babies digestive systems are only made to digest breast milk. anything else will cause problems. And for your baby is sounds like he is extra sensitive . So I agree that re-lactating is a very plausible situation he is still really young! good luck
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 7:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• If u go tothe drugs store and ask the pharmacist they should be able to recommend something for you. Just tell them that u already used the Mylicon drops and that they are not working. You may also try the Prosoybe formula. I also had trouble with the gas for my daughter and this is what they changed her to. Let me know what the outcome is.
    taetae69

Answer by taetae69 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2010