"I love you!" .... a normal phase?

Instead of "goodbye!" my son (and now his copycat little sister) have been saying "I love you!" as a substitute for "see you later". Grandma, neighbors, friends, mailman, lady at the bank, etc. I have in the past occasionally seen other kids do this..... will it pass? I hate to intervene and crush their kind spirits but I am aware you need to be socially acceptable as well

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's too early to teach them who it is appropriate to say it to. If they say it to someone in public, like the bank, wait until you're outside to gently remind them that is not a person to say that to. You could get one of those kids books that has pictures of people, like family, and then of community members, like police men, bakers, mailmen, etc. and turn it into a game of who gets "I love you"s. You could also just have them replace "Love you" with "Thank you" then if you have to correct them in front of people it just looks like the kids got their words mixed up.
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 4:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it while they are small...But when they get bigger just ask them if they actually "love" that person. If they say no tell them not to tell them anymore.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• No, not a normal phrase for just anyone in my family. It is reserved for those that they truly love - parents, grandparents, siblings, some friends...
    Not the mailman, bank employees, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2010