How would you feel if your siblings never called?

I live 700 miles from my family. I have 4 siblings, 3 sisters and a brother. None of them ever call. Ever. I don't hardly talk to my younger siblings because we have almost nothing in common, but my older sisters and I get along pretty well... I just don't understand why I never get calls. I'm starting to want to stop calling them :(

What would you think if your family members never called you?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• I. Guess bc we are all so busy with our busy lives I know we just have to make time but no one wants to make that move first.
    I hate talking on the phone for one that is my reason but there is a time where I do drop a line or two. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• maybe they're busy. or perhaps they think you don't want to talk to them since you never call them either. you should call them and see what they have to say.
    xavierlogan09

Answer by xavierlogan09 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Eventually I just stopped calling them too. Seemed like they would only call when they want something from me or to gossip about one of our parents. I got tired of it. I really don't call any of them anymore unless I have to.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I am the youngest of four, 2 older sisters and 1 older brother. My sister I was closest to passed away in 2005 so I talk to her everyday, she just doesn't answer. My oldest sister that is still alive hates me and blames me for things my mother did before I was ever born. We went nearly 10 year without talking, I reached out and tried again just for her to rehash all this old stuff and tell me how much she hates me. I haven't talked to my brother in over 10 years and I don't even know why. Our mother died 30 years ago so there is no one left to keep us kids together. It's sad, yet a relief that I don't have to deal with my sister's insanity anymore. Just because we are born "family" does not mean it is the family you need around you. Make friends into your family, that is what I have done.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 4:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I have the same problem. Both my brothers and my dad never call me. I just stoped calling them.

Answer by louise2 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I'd be upset if my little sister never called, but she's only nine. If I never heard from my brother again, I can't say I'd loose any sleep over it. If you're close to them just ask why they don't call.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I never talk to my sister on the phone. Once in a while we'll have a big long phone call and catch up but it's not very often.

We don't have a whole lot in common and we're busy with our own lives.
    I used to call regularly but then it got to the point where I was the only one phoning and I had nothing to say. Now I only phone if I have something to say.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• xavierlogan, I do call, though. One of my sisters I don't call as often because I never know what her schedule is and she usually works graveyards, I don't want to wake her up. My other two sisters are working now too, and so I don't call as often as I had been calling, but I still make a point to talk to them sometimes.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• Coming from the other side of this, I have a sister who gets upset because she says that none of us (I have two brothers and another sister besides her) call her. I don't intend it to be rude. I am just a busy person. What she doesn't understand is that it is not just her, but rather that I don't call anyone very often! Including the commute time, I spend 50 hours per week at work. When I get home, I have to cook, clean, do laundry, etc. and hopefully spend some quality time with my husband and my children. If something important comes up I do make sure to call her. But I'm not going to call her every other day just to chit chat. But it's not like I am calling my other siblings all the time and just neglecting her. I don't even talk to my friends very often these days! I would hope that she would never be so offended that she would cut me out of her life just because I don't call her very often.
    Mary229

Answer by Mary229 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2010

• I live 600 miles away from all my family (mom,3 sisters, 1 brother, aunts and grandmother). I talk to my mom daily through email or text. I'm lucky if I hear from my siblings 3 times a year. I'm the oldest and we have nothing in common. My brother is in a bad marriage and has shut himself off from everyone, my one sister is a single mom looking for her next "baby daddy" and there is 13 years between me and the "baby" of the family. I haven't talked to my grandmother since 2006 and it's been 10 years since I've talked to my aunts. It got to a point that I got tired of calling them just to have them tell me they were busy and would call me later. They would NEVER call me "later". so I just stopped bothering. My mom updates me on all of them and them on me.
    Anonymous